Need help lowering CC..

If those number are correct (pool store results can be unreliable), personally I wouldn't allow swimmers since that high of CC (depending on the type) can be very irritating.

Many of us have the tf-100 since it is the best value.

Assuming those numbers are correct, a quick "shock" and pucks in the skimmer are not going to solve the problem (and the general opinion on the forum is that pucks in the skimmer are never an answer). The SLAM process is designed to bring your FC level up to shock levels and to keep it there until the problem is taken care of. It is nearly impossible to do properly without an FAS-DPD test which is only available in a few test kits, 2 of which we recommend (see link in my signature). You need to know your CYA for sure (pool stores are rarely correct on these tests) and will need plenty of chlorine. Assuming the "shock" you use is powdered calcium-hypochlorine you can potentially use it, but our recommendation is liquid chlorine/plain bleach. Never use powdered dichlor or trichlor to do a SLAM.

It is not unsafe necessarily to swim, but CC that high will almost certainly be irritating to swim in. I personally would fix the problem first.

Traylork said:
Since I have swg can I super chlorinate (shock) instead of slam??
No, it won't fix the problem and is not healthy for the cell. You need to bring it quickly to SLAM level by adding liquid chlorine and keep it there until you meet the 3 criteria: Clear water, Less than 0.5 CC, and Pass an OCLT. It may all sound like overkill if you have never done it, but the process was created through a lot of work and is what it takes to completely eliminate organics and CC from your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, not really. The HTH only measures TC (Total Chlorine) and it is limited to 5 ppm.

If you are going to SLAM the pool and you have any CYA (like from those pucks) you are going to have a shock level target of something near 12-13 FC, based on your CYA. IF you have already ordered your TF and you are NOT swimming, you could add enough bleach to your pool to get to 12 and use your HTH to see that you stay above 5PPM at all times. You could then add an amount to estimate the difference between your measured and 12FC target. I know we are guessing but you have at least some idea where you are at. I don't trust the pool store numbers out of a computer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.