Hello from Central Florida...

Jul 31, 2013
Central FL
Hello everyone, I'm new here, and just started learning more about the pool industry since I just purchased a property here in central FL, that came with an in ground pool. I have a Pentair WhisperFlo 1 hp single speed pump, hooked up to a Pentair EasyTouch control system with a 4 circuit wireless control panel, a Pentair MasterTemp 400 LP heater and Pentair IntelliChlor IC20.

My motor died about two days ago, and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best motor to buy as replacement. I was thinking of buying a new replacement motor of the same model, the pool company that built the pool wants to charge me $350 plus tax with installation. I am looking at the possibility of buying a 2-speed replacement motor instead and was looking at the impower motor that comes with 3 speeds and can be set up as a high-medium speeds(3450-2600 rpm's) or high-low speeds. I'm interested in the high-medium speed set up, which I believe can be hooked up with my Easytouch control system. Anyone care to share if that would be a good choice/combination to go with my system and whisper flow pump?

Welcome to tfp, Dssmaster :wave:

Can you post which model of whisperflo you have, and/or post the hp and service factor (sf) of the motor? I would guess the impower is too small for your pump. In addition, the added cost of the impower over typical 2-speed motors tends to not save money. Why do you want to run at high-medium?

I am not an expert at the easytouch system, but I think it does fine with a 2-speed.

Hello linen, I have a WhisperFlow 1 hp/service factor of 1.25. The model is a WF-24. I spoke to a dealer today who gave me a price quote for the Marathon Electric imPower ($590) and told me it can be ordered for next delivery. I will have to go back to make sure it is compatible with my EasyTouch system, as their tech guy is out on vacation. I thought the imPower was a 2-speed because I was told that I could run it from any combination from high-med, high-low, med-low. I was looking at the variable speed options, but so far from what I've been told is that I would need to replace the entire pump system in order to go with a variable speed motor. The system they had in stock were the Hayward and a Pentair, both costing $1,499.00, so I guess that option is out the window as I don't think I want to spend that much money at this time, especially since I've heard that the WhisperFlo is a workhorse and built like a tank.

I don't know much about the Hayward brand. There was one in operation at the local pinch-a-penny pool store for demonstration purposes, and I have to say it was very quiet, but then again they had it running at just 600 rmp's. When I asked the sales rep. to put it on high mode, he wasn't too interested in doing so, and when he did, he was asking me why would I want to use a variable speed motor on high mode. Then there was a much louder noise as the pump started running on the high mode, so I'm happy to say that my single speed WhisperFlo pump ran much quieter when it was operational in the high mode. When I pointed that out to him, he replied by saying that my motor does not run at high speed (3,450) rmp's, even though that's what is listed on the motor itself. So I think he was just trying to make me believe that the Hayward is a better pump than the Pentair WhisperFlo, and by doing so, convincing me to spend that much money on a new pump system. That is why I need to educate myself as much as possible before making a decision as to what to get to replace my dead motor.

Another thing I've read so far is that in the long run, VS motors tend to cause more issues than 2-speed motors, due to the electronics in the control panel they come with going bad. Plus the initial high cost would not make sense for someone like me with a 1hp pump system, since it would take 3-5 years to make that back in energy savings. And to make matters worse, the motors have a life expectancy of about 3-3.5 years, maybe a little more if I'm lucky.

Dssmaster said:
The model is a WF-24. I spoke to a dealer today who gave me a price quote for the Marathon Electric imPower ($590) and told me it can be ordered for next delivery.
The two speed motor for your pump is a.o. smith UQS1102R and can be had online for ~$260 online from places like here. The two speeds are 1725 and 3450 rpm.

Thanks for your help in finding a replacement dual speed motor for my pump system. I was also looking at the EcoPump with the dual speed motor in it. It seems to be the best energy star rated pump system in the market. And probably the only one that comes with a full 3 year warranty on the pump and motor component. The motor in the EcoPump is a new type that just came out by A.O. Smith, supposed to be different than a regular induction and/or permanent magnet motor.

Plus the prices for the EcoPump 1 hp model: EP-4 is $776, and the 1.5 hp model: EP-6 is $824, plus $49 shipping from the factory. The warranty is 3 years for the entire pump/motor system, and they offer an additional 2 years for $99, to make it a full 5 year warranty. According to the customer sevice rep I spoke to, in the event something goes wrong or bad, all I need to do is call them, and they'll ship me a replacement pump/motor, and they include the return shipping to ship the old/defective unit back.

So I would like to know if anyone in this forum has one, or knows how reliable and quiet those EcoPump systems are compared to the Pentair WhisperFlo and Hayward Pumps. No one seems to distribute the EcoPumps here in Central FL, and every pool shop I've been to is pushing the latest Hayward VS pump systems or the Pentair IntelliFlo. Everything sounds good according to the great reviews on their page, but I would rather hear from owners who currently have one. Thank you all for the help and assistance you're giving me during this decision making process.

linen said:
Dssmaster said:
The model is a WF-24. I spoke to a dealer today who gave me a price quote for the Marathon Electric imPower ($590) and told me it can be ordered for next delivery.
The two speed motor for your pump is a.o. smith UQS1102R and can be had online for ~$260 online from places like here. The two speeds are 1725 and 3450 rpm.

Thanks linen, now with a dual speed motor, would I be able to control the speed selection via my Pentair EasyTouch automated control system? Or would I have to do it manually, like with a toggle switch?

I'm also comparing some of the other dual speed motor replacement options, including both the 2EZ Speed by U.S. Motors and ImPower by Marathon Electric. Both look to be great replacements for my pump motor, and use permanent magnets, and price wise the 2EZ Speed is the most inexpensive of the two. Would you recommend the 2EZ Speed over the ImPower motor? And from your experience, does it hold quite well in reliability in both the life of the motor and the electronics in the control panel/timer?