Too Much Salt in new SWG pool

Jul 26, 2013
Taylors, SC
I just had my first pool installed it's a SWG pool. It's been open for two weeks now. I have ordered the TF 100 test kit but it hasn't arrived yet so I'll give you the numbers from the Aquacheck Select strips the pool installers gave me:
Total Hardness 250
Total Chlorine 5
Free Chlorine 5
ph 7.8
Total Alkalinity 80
Cyanuric Acid 30-50
My problem is that when the installers were filling the pool and putting the chemicals in they must have added way too much salt. I have the Pentair IntelliChlor SWC with the Pentair EasyTouch control system. It's showing a salt level of 4200 ppm. The guide that came with the IntelliChlor says the idea salt level is 3400 ppm I checked with a Aquacheck salt test strip as well and got the same level. The SWG is making plenty of chlorine so I'm sure it's working properly. I'm assuming that the only way to lower the salt level is to do a partial drain of the pool and add new fresh water. My question is how much should I drain off? The pool is 14X28 with the deep end only 5 feet. the approximate volume of water is 13000. Thanks for any help you can give.

Thanks for the help. I drained a little over 10 inches of water and refilled, I let it circulate for about 30 minutes and checked the salt level. It's down it 3500. From what I've been reading on here it's good to keep in just a little on the high side of what the manufacture says in ideal. Just a quick glance at a test strip and my other levels didn't change that much. my TF100 test kit should be in the mail today or tomorrow so then I can get to fine tuning my water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.