Filter for 40k pool

Jul 30, 2013
Hi, first time poster.

I have read every thread I could find and still want to confirm a Pentair Quad 100 is the best decision

I've been in house for a year and have fought the pool.

I installed a pentair vs pump but pool service man strongly suggesting I increase the filter size from hayward pro grid 48 to a pentair 4000 (60). I think mostly because its bigger and he knows the filter and can service it easy. It's only. 20% increase.

I just had a hayward multiport valve put on and new oring (the good one)

If I'm going through expense of switching, everything I read points to 2x pool size, big as possible, etc. i want my pool guys support, but should I push for quad 100. Or should I push for hayward 72 pro grid, since I have the new multi port, etc? Or will the pentair 4000 (60) be the same?

Pool is 42x22 and 9ft deep end. I have two skimmers, one just got opened up at skimmer diverter.

Thanks
Doug

Welcome to TFP.

First I would ask if you're having a problem with the current filter beyond thinking it's too small?
If you're not having an issue with it I wouldn't recommend changing it just to be changing it.

If you are having an issue lets first make sure that it's the filter that's the problem and not something else.

Hi,

One issue is algae, another is filter getting dirty and needing backwashed or cleaned pretty quick, and it seems as though water could flow a little more freely out of returns.

Changing filter was not on my radar until pool service made the suggestion that the filter was really too small.

Bama brought up a really good point. I am a huge fan of oversize filters....mine is a real biggie and I love it.

That said, the issues you mention are not related to your filter at all but your water chemistry. Filters can NEVER filter live algae out of a pool.....it grows right back in hours.

Backwashing frequently and poor water flow are also indications of poor water chemistry and not your filters capacity.

Chlorine kills algae. A properly balanced pool will have little debris in the water so the filter has a lot less work to do.

The first thing I would recommend is that you get a good test kit and while you're waiting on it to arrive, read pool school on the ABC's of pool chemistry and how to SLAM your pool. Then once you get it (and the good test results) you SLAM your pool until you pass the OCLT. It will take a lot of backwashing the filter but it would take that even with a large filter until you get it cleaned up.

Once you have it clear and are back on a regular maintenance schedule, then you can decide if you want or need a larger filter. I too am a believer in a large filter, but I hate to see you make a decision based on something that's not the filters fault, just because you're fighting the pool right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.