New Feature!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanB

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Special thanks to the programmer who's gone above and beyond to get this feature working!

From now on, when you use the "View New Posts" link, found at the top right corner of the page, instead of just a sequential listing of new posts, they are now dived by forum. So, you want to read just the pool care stuff, you won't have to scan through off-topic areas.

Likewise, if you want to hang catch up with the other members, you don't have to read about green pools first to do so. :lol:

I would ask one thing of all members. When you use this feature, please glance down and see if there are any new items under News and Announcements as this is the primary way I communicate important information with the site.

You may need to go back to the index page and refresh before the new feature takes effect for you.

Enjoy!

Sean

Another new feature I just witnessed I LOVE!!! it's like an alert - when posting a reply, Jason posted one right before me, and the forum let me read it and asked if I wanted to edit my post before replying....I Like that!!!

If you like the old way, you can simply click "View New Posts" in the User Menu under your avatar (right side of the portal page - the one with the slide show.) Not exactly the same format as before, but closer than the 'new way'!
Happy surfing

Thanks Sean B for trying to make EVERYBODY happy!!!!! :goodjob: :goodjob:

edit: I was feeling a tad dyslexic when I typed the side of the portal page the user menu is on... it is on the RIGHT side! :roll:

"View new posts" isn't working for me :(

All I get is a l-o-o-o-n-g page of subject headers. No dates or times, no poster name, no nothing but the subject. Is it my browser (FF), my user settings, or is this intentional?

I love the new features but this one I am not fond of.

Anna, please read TMQ's post.

This is a new feature among many and may need some tweaking. I'm spending a lot of my time answering questions and pm's and it's taking me a long time to get back to the actual work, like adding the stack of new articles for Pool School.

The additional information may be able to be added but it won't be immediatley.

Again, please see TMQ's post which addresses this issue. ;)

Thanks,
Sean

Whew! This took a while, but I think we have the kinks worked out.

Now, when you use the view new posts link at the top of the forum page, you will see the subject, the author, the original poster and the date of the most recent post. All of this sorted by category to make it easy for you to scroll right to what you want. Of course, the pool areas are right up top. ;)

Thanks,
Sean

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought I'd give an update as we have continued to try and refine this feature.

Know when you use the "View new posts," you'll noticed they are still separated by category and listed in order from most recent down within each category. This allows you to quickly see new posts for only the categories you are interested in.

I still wasn't totally satisfied with the "look" of the page though but this latest improvement has it just right I think. Now, in addition to being broken down by category, you'll see that each thread has the name of the forum just below. I think this makes for a cleaner, easier to follow page.

For those of you who prefer to see all posts in order of newness regardless of which forum they are from, you can still use the View new posts link on the home page which retains the original function.

I hope you like this latest improvement,
Sean

ETA: The google search, found on the home page and bottom of every page, is another great way to search the site. Now that the new urls are getting more thoroughly indexed, the google search is becoming more and more effective.

Ugh, not liking the new method... I'm not positive about before, but now, they definately aren't sorted by date/time... and for some reason my cookies aren't remembering which ones I've read so 'view new posts' has a TON of posts in it and finding the actual new ones is like searching for a needle in a hay stack. I'll try deleting cookies and stuff to see if that helps.

EDIT: I notice at the top of the page it says "New Posts (since Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:30 pm)". Obviously we're way past the 3rd and no matter how many times I close my browser and come back later, that 'since' date doesn't change.

EskimoPie said:
Ugh, not liking the new method... I'm not positive about before, but now, they definately aren't sorted by date/time... and for some reason my cookies aren't remembering which ones I've read so 'view new posts' has a TON of posts in it and finding the actual new ones is like searching for a needle in a hay stack. I'll try deleting cookies and stuff to see if that helps.

EDIT: I notice at the top of the page it says "New Posts (since Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:30 pm)". Obviously we're way past the 3rd and no matter how many times I close my browser and come back later, that 'since' date doesn't change.

I created a shortcut in "favorites" to the Home page link with the view new posts. It's the old method and they are sorted by the most recent posts. I find that the easiest for me, my preference of course.

The old, original "View new posts" feature is still available, simply use the link from the home page. If you don't like the new version, don't post about it, just use the old one. ;)

The way the "View new posts" link, within the forum works is simple. It organizes the new posts by category first, NOT strictly post time. Then, they are further sorted by individual forum - as noted beneath each post. Within those sub categories, they are in time order.

So all posts in a category are together and all posts in a specific forum are together. This was done to make it easier to read only those forums that are of interest to the individual users. :goodjob:

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.