Skimmer /concrete repair

Feb 8, 2008
Hello! I am going to be repairing some cracked/chipped concrete around my skimmer and was hoping to get some input/advice. We had our pool built in 2006 and had troubles from the start with the construction of the concrete surrounding the skimmer. Our pool builder repaired this by patching the area with a masonry type of material. The repair now has cracks and some has chipped off. I wanted to repair it with a masonry filler but wasn't sure if it should be one specifically marketed for pools or if it needs to be waterproof? Also in that same area under the coping, there is a black tar like substance, that I believe is a waterproofing membrane? I noticed some gaps between the black membrane and the surrounding tile/concrete wall. I was planning on using a pool putty in this area? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Attachments

• 2_IMG_3618_3.jpg
    2_IMG_3618_3.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2701.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1837.jpg
    IMG_1837.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 63
Ardex makes a masonry product called "Feather edge" (I think) that I have used and that's what I would use to patch that job.

It can be putty knifed to a thin layer and adheres very well and doesn't crack. It is very fast setting (about 15 minutes) so you may have to mix two batches.

Chip out all that cracked stuff before you apply the new.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.