Easytouch Question

Jul 12, 2013
We are in the middle of building a new pool. We are planning on automating with an Easytouch 8. I am concerned that we do not have enough relays for everything we are planning to use. Here is what I would like to have connected for automation:

1. Pool Pump Variable Speed Circulation Pump
2. Basin Pump Negative Edge Booster Pump
3. Pool Cleaner
4. Lights Main Pool
5. Lights Basin
6. Outside flood lights
7. deck pool jets
8. bubblers
9. Heater
10. Intellichem

The PB suggested that we have the lights for the pool on two relays because we may have times that we want to keep the lights on the negative edge on and not the main pool light and I think that is probably correct, but do we have enough relays to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

The pool with have 5 lights: 2 in the main pool and 3 in the basin. Can I set them up all on one relay and then control the basin and the pool lights separately through the programing or a feature circuit?

You can put the lights all on one relay, but then they all go on/off together. If possible you will want them on at least two relays.

Does the pool cleaner have a booster pump, or is it running off the main pump? If it uses a booster pump it will need a relay. Running off the main pump it will need a valve actuator.

The IntelliChem (which I don't recommend getting) does not use any relays. If you are getting an IntelliFlo it will also not use a relay.

The deck jets will need a valve actuator, but not a relay. The same for the bubblers, valve but not relay.

JasonLion said:
The IntelliChem (which I don't recommend getting)

Why do you not recommend getting an IntelliChem? This is one of the items that I am excited about getting. I had a large saltwater aquarium and used several dosing pumps to great success. The Ph probe seems to be really good for controlling ph and our local water has high ph. As to the other probe, I know it has issues, but I was planning to just use the chlorine dosing pretty much like a stenner pump until things settle down and then reevaluate switching to probe control.

Would you suggest just using 2 stenner dosing pumps instead? I like them a lot but I really want the integration with the Easytouch.

Let me know more of your thoughts.

Thanks for the information. It appears that my relays can be the following:

1. Basin Pump Negative Edge Booster Pump
2. Pool Cleaner separate pump
3. Lights Main Pool
4. Lights Basin
5. Outside flood lights
6. Heater

And the following will not use relays:
1. Pool pump Intelliflow variable speed
2. deck pool jets (valve)
3. bubblers (valve)
4. Intellichem

Does this sound right?

As bk406 already mentioned, the heater does not need a relay.

The PH portion of the IntelliChem does work fairly well, but almost no one needs automatic PH dosing. Unless your fill water is very high in TA, it is possible to balance your levels so that is not really an issue. If you do need acid feed, a simpler system with just a stenner pump and a timer is very nearly as good, less expensive, and more reliable.

JasonLion said:
As bk406 already mentioned, the heater does not need a relay.

The PH portion of the IntelliChem does work fairly well, but almost no one needs automatic PH dosing. Unless your fill water is very high in TA, it is possible to balance your levels so that is not really an issue. If you do need acid feed, a simpler system with just a stenner pump and a timer is very nearly as good, less expensive, and more reliable.

Thank you for your comments. Our fill water is high in TA according to the PB. I looked at the Stenner pump system and thought seriously about doing an Intellichem without pumps and ordering two Stenner pumps because I thought they would be more reliable and easier to repair. But the comments from the last year seem to be much more favorable to the Intellichem than when they first came out. But for the automation integration, I would go with timers and stenner pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.