outside temps/pool temp

I did some searching and came up blank on this one. Odd question sorry if it is a repeat. merge if needed!

What is the ideal temperature ratio relative to outside temperature with wind that is optional to not feel cold swimming or just getting out of the water.

I know everyone has a preference but I was thinking if the outside temps is say 80 degrees, would it make it seem colder on the swimmer if the pool was 78 or 82? I am thinking about the head/shoulders out of the water. If the pool was 82 and the outside temp plus wind was 80, I am thinking the wind/breeze factor of the outside temps lower than the pool would make it feel "colder" than if the pool was just below the outside temperature.

I wonder if I heat my pool too much that people seem cold as the outside temps are usually lower than the water.

Sorry if that makes no sense. Out of work early today and a couple of wobbly pops in the system.

I think humidity is a huge factor. It can be cool getting out of a 90 degree pool with air temps of 100 while all the water is evaporating ... but once the water is gone obviously it gets hot and you want to get back in the pool.

jblizzle said:
I think humidity is a huge factor. It can be cool getting out of a 90 degree pool with air temps of 100 while all the water is evaporating ... but once the water is gone obviously it gets hot and you want to get back in the pool.
Only a Tucsonite can put the words 100 and cool together. :shock: :-D

Another big factor is choice of beverage. :)

I find that the amount of sun affects the way it feels more than anything. The water is 81 and at 3 in the afternoon it feels great. At 6, it feels cold. The outside temperature may only be two degrees cooler, but what a difference the sun makes. Same thing on a cloudy day.

It's called solar load - cars with automatic AC systems have a solar sensor to factor that in.

Richard320 said:
I find that the amount of sun affects the way it feels more than anything.
According to Accuweather on Sunday it was 75, I ran the heater and ended up at 88, sounds perfect. When the sun came out it felt warm. 86 probably would have been ideal in the sun, even at 75 outside.

Thanks for the input folks. I was really curious if it was better to keep the water just below or just above the outside temp so that it does not appear colder than what it is.

I think I'll try and aim for just at or below the temp plus wind/humidity conditions to keep it the most comfortable. I think if the water is cooler than the air than when above the water or just getting out it won't seem as chilly. Thinking around the 80 temps. I am not talking about 70 lol. 70 is cold.

It depends on sun, wind and humidity for me. Humidity and the dew point play the biggest factor in the temp you "feel". Along with wind on your damp skin, the evaporation is doing the same thing as your sweat = cool you down.

90 degrees and sunny? 80-84 feels great
80 degrees and cloudy/windy? 80-82 can be cold with the wind, 84-85 is better.
70 degrees, no wind, humid and sun down early evening? 82-83 is AWESOME!
Wife swimming laps? She prefers 79-81 to combat the core temp rise and sweating.

We have found that 85 seems to be the ideal temperature for day swimming with little ones. If the sun is out, and it is warm, you even feel good getting out. For night swimming, it seems that 88-90 feels more comfortable as you will get cold out of the water.

The pool heated up to 92 during our last heat wave and was not refreshing at all during the day, at night it was a dream!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.