Hard Water Stains - 20 Years Old!

May 10, 2013
These hard water stains are from the previous owner not keeping the PH balanced, I believe. And they've never cleaned the tile in the 20 years that they owned the pool. I took a pressure washer to it, and it got some of the thicker layers off (you can see in the photo). I sprayed a 3 to 1 mix of water/muriatic acid on it, and it was smoking all over the white areas. But it's not helping much. I haven't tried a wire brush yet, but I was wondering if there is anything else I can do.

I'm currently draining and refilling the pool, so I'd like to make some progress on it before I fill it again.

stains1.jpg

stains2.jpg

stains3.jpg

Well, your options are limited and it sounds like you pretty much know them all. The acid/water mix and brush will eventually take it all off, but it'll probably drive you nuts before you get it done. You can have it bead blasted...we've had a few reports of that working beautifully.

Thanks for the links and the suggestions. I spent about 3 hours yesterday using a sharp putty knife, some elbow grease, and a muriatic acid mix and was able to get about 1/3 of the pool tile done. I am pretty sore today, and I'm going to have another go at it soon. I'll post a pic if I can remember to take one later. I'm tempted to buy a sand-blasting kit since I already have an air compressor, but we'll see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.