Home from vacation and pool is green!

We were in Mexico for a week and returned to a light but obvious green pool. Somehow our SWG was set at 13% plus we had a lot of rain...

PH 7.5
FC 0.5
CC 0.5
CYA 35

Gallons 18,850
Temp 85

I think we need to shock the pool and get our FC up to 14 per the pool calculator and monitor it until the FC doesn't drop, the pool clears and our CC remains less than 0.5, hubby doesn't think we need to shock it.

Help!!!

Thank you! This is our first time having a green pool...

I turned my SWG to 0%. I just added bleach 8.25% to raise my FC to 14 per the Pool Calculator based on my CYA level. Should I re-check the FC in an hour and then add more bleach to keep it above 14 until it passes the over-night test and looks clear? How long should I wait to add CYA? I am actually thankful the CYA was low from the heavy rain as my shock FC is lower than if it was in normal range.

I went to bed last night after 3 doses and the FC was 16, woke up at 5 am (5 hours later) and it was 8. I added more bleach and have been testing it hourly and adding more bleach to keep my FC above 14. Pool is still a green tint. We've gone through 6 bottles of 8.25% bleach. Wonder how many more I will use?

I expected my CC to be higher due to the algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We've gone through 6 bottles of 8.25% bleach. Wonder how many more I will use?
It depends on how much organic material is in your pool. On the high side, people have reported 80 jugs, I think.

6 gallons is VERY low and I think you will use a LOT more since you still have some green in your pool.

You can disregard your CC's test while you are SLAMming. Test again when your pool is spakling.

Keep your chlorine up....there is no alternative.

Ok, so this time I waited 2 hours to check the FC and it was 11.

I've been reading pool school and since we checked the CYA last night indoors (35) and it is recommended to test during the day outdoors, I re-checked it outside in the sun as directed and it reads 20. I don't know how it is that low but anyways, should I lower my shock FC to 10 as the chart says or keep it at 14?

My test kit is ~18 months old but has been stored in a closet and I have plenty of it. Would this make a difference? It's only day two and I'm feeling defeated...

So I decided to take a water sample down to the pool store to double check my CYA. He registered it at 30 in the store light. He then said your chlorine is WAY too high. I explained the SLAM process and he said the bleach would eventually "bleach out all my numbers" and I would be in a mess, so I needed to stop that now and that he had a product that would get rid of the algae in 1 day but that I would always have issues with algae. I declined and said I would trust the process and told him I haven't had algae in almost 2 years that I have had my pool using the tips from TFP. He was dumbfounded I haven't had algae :goodjob:

If you think your CYA is truly 35 use what the chart says. I would recheck it the next time you have a good sunny day.

I think the kit is good for 18 months. Might be ok if stores properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thank you pwrstrk. I have a question regarding "heaping" spoon full. I went about 3 1/2 hours between testing and the FC was 7. That seemed low so I tried again and got 8.5, I used 8 for the pool calculator and kept my target at 14 so added 172 oz of bleach. We are now up to nine 122 ml bottles of 8.25% bleach. The water looks much better than yesterday, almost normal. We keep finding areas of green on the pebble sheen and keep brushing the pool. I keep reading stories on the process but worry about the amount of bleach I have poured into my pool and the accuracy of my "heaping" spoon full to test the chlorine.

Must.trust.the.process.

Too much powder is not a prob. Too little is. You might want to check FC levels a little more often. The longer you keep it at a higher shock level the faster the process will go. You know the three tests you have to pass to stop the slam.

POP pool owner patience !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.