Lost Skimmer Sock

May 8, 2007
Northeast PA
Hi I have a 15' AG , Hayward Sand Filter S166T and Power Flo 1Hp pump. We needed to replace the skimmer and did it last evening so pool just used for first time this season. I put in a knee hi stocking and everything was fine. When i checked this AM the skimmer basket was upside down and no knee hi. Everything seems to be running ok, there is good pressure from return and into skimmer but it won't backwash very good and there is only 2 lbs pressure. I don't know what the pressure was last nite because the gauge was broken and just put the new one on this Am. Help.
Thanks, Carolyn

No strainer basket in front of the pump? I thought all pumps had one of those. Learn a new thing every day.

At this point I would take the sand filter apart and dig through the sand. Once you find it and have everything put together again, if you decide to keep using the skimmer sock (which I highly recommend) put a rock in it. That will help hold the sock down and also keep the skimmer basket inside its housing when the pump is off.

Well, if the sock is not in the pump, I have to wonder where it is. I think it went into the valve, and if it made it past that, then it is in the filter. So, does water go through the center tube, then out the laterals through the sand and back into the pool? If so, then maybe the sock is down in the center tube. If not, then the sock is on top of the sand. Another thing. I can't imagine how it would get past the pump. I bet it is twisted up inside there around the impeller. Not the basket area, there should be another hole leading into the actual pump between the basket and the motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the replies. Ex husband who's here everyday to see the kids took everything apart and sock was almost in the pump so we were lucky. Of course hes bit*****g me upside down. Since he never heard of skimmer sox and it wasn't his idea then it must be silly. Of course he does so much with the maintenance end of things that I couldn't do myself. (I'm the pool cleaner and chemical person). Just got my TF 100 kit, only took 2 days, yay can't wait to use it. Carolyn

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.