Vinyl Liner Floated. Now pad off the bottom is in the wall

Jul 30, 2013
Oklahoma
I am a long time lurker here on TFP, but first time poster. Normally my questions have already been answered by others, but now, I have an issue I can't find a answer.

As the title suggests, we had a torrential downpour last night, with lots of lightning, and I was not able to turn the pump to waste the water :cry:. Needless to say, a bunch of water got behind the liner. Its has done this one other time in the three summers we have had our pool. Each of those times the liner and everything went back into place nearly perfectly without much help from me. However, this time, the padding also floated up. I can't tell exactly where the padding came from. BUT, I am 75% sure the padding is off the bottom of the pool and not the wall. I know that if its off the wall, I can slide my hand behind the liner and slide it back in place, but if it is for sure off the bottom, is there anything I can do to fix this? Or, in the alternative, should I just pull the pad out and wait till the end of the season to fix it. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help!

edit: Pics below

Re: Vinyl Liner Floated. Now pad off the bottom is in the wa

I guess im not understanding how an ig pool liner pad could float off the bottom of the pool. Is your pool empty? 15k gallons of water pushing down on the floor and against the walls is a substantial force.

Not to change the subject, but what kind of padding do you have on your floor? And is it over a sand bottom? I am asking because we did a DIY liner install and we did tap the sand before installing the liner but still have ruts now after a year. My husband was thinking of putting some kind of padding down next time we have to install a liner.
Sorry and thanks

I know, that was my thought as well. But we did have A LOT of rain (at least for us, 3-4 inches in a matter of about two hours). At one point the water was almost flowing out of the pool and onto the pool deck.

The entire corner of the shallow end had lifted up, and what was the bottom of the pool was actually floating on top of the water. That is why I assumed (after feeling behind the wall liner a bit and confirming the padding on the wall was still in place) it almost had to be from the bottom. All of the water behind the liner has now drained out, and 90% of the liner is back in place, and the chemicals are still in balance (high chlorine due to adding a gallon of bleach) and the padding is my only issue.

Another question I couldn't figure out. Whenever there is water behind the liner (like I said this is the second time it has happened) water is pouring into the skimmer from what appears to be a slot above the normal water line of the skimmer. Is this normal, or do I have some type of pump down there pumping water out. We didn't build the pool so we have no clue whats underneath.

Ok i think its starting to make more sense. If the pool was a fiberglass pool that was failing and someone had a liner installed over it. It would be like a bath tub collecting the water and allowing the liner to lift. And assuming that is true you would need a sump pump to clear any collected water so the slot with water pouring into the skimmer would make sense also.(this is me typing my thoughts)(may or may not be whats happening)

Actually after looking at it again, it actually looks like a metal panel type of pool. Like I said we didn't install so don't know all of the details, and its hard to see the sides of the actual pool as it has a layer of foam padding over it.

If it is off the bottom of the pool is there anything I can do?

Short of draining the water down and peeling back the liner to reinstall the pad i dont believe so. That being said im no expert on pool installation so there may be some way. Im sure a more knowledgeable person will be along with their insight

If it is a metal walled pool the pad is more than likely from the wall as the pad protects the liner from the steel. Perhaps the bottom edge of the pad rolled up the wall?

Well, I have a pool company coming out sometime later this week to look at it sometime this week. I was just hoping for an easy (read cheap) way of fixing it DIY style. I will post what they recommend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Sure will. The pics aren't great. But there is some commentary on the photos. Please excuse the mess in the back yard, I had been attempting to clean up the backyard in preparation for this weekend.

Attachments

• WP_20130730_006.jpg
    WP_20130730_006.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 94
  • WP_20130730_005.jpg
    WP_20130730_005.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 94
  • WP_20130730_003.jpg
    WP_20130730_003.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 93
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.