May 8, 2012
South Florida
pH 7.5
TA 70
CH 300
CYA 50
salt 3400
Temp 91

How long will Non-chlorine shock affect CC test with fas dpd test kit. I sued 2 bags of it because I had it to try and eliminate a .5 cc reading I continuously have despite keeping the chlorine level at 20 for over a week. Why a week? Because I always have a .5 cc reading and our eyes get very irritated. I'm about to give up

Assuming your were using the 10 ml sample, as long as one drop of the R-0871 clears it up then no need to worry about it. If it takes two, then worry and chlorine and the SLAM process is the solution.

Try using a 25 ml water sample where each drop is 0.2 ppm and you may find that your CC is <= 0.2 ppm. If your pool is exposed to sunlight regularly and not covered all the time, your CC is probably low. As for your eye irritation, your numbers look OK so I don't know where that is coming from.

The non-chlorine shock will usually be gone within a week. It can be shorter than that if there is something in the pool to oxidize. If you were going to use it more frequently, you can get the Taylor K-2042MPS interference remover[/url] to be able to distinguish between the MPS level and true CC.

In my experience MPS typically shows up as elevated CC for about 3 to 5 days after it is added (slowly tapers off), note I do have the Taylor K-2042 test that Chemgeek mentioned since I do occasional use MPS for supplemental oxidation. Of course that is only my experience, and may depend on factors like dose level, etc.

Just a note to point out to the casual reader that Isaac-1 has an indoor pool. MPS has quite a few benefits for an indoor pool but not so much for a properly maintained outdoor pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.