Bury a rigid discharge hose for backwashing?

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I currently have a 100'x2" blue discharge hose running across my back yard for backwashing the filter. I want to bury a permanent hose. The yard has a constant slope, so it will drain to avoid freezing. What kind of hose should I use? I was looking for 2" poly tubing, but the internet isn't turning up much. I thought about PVC, but it would be alot easier to unroll 100' of continuous hose and dig a ditch for it (or rent a ditch witch...) rather than glue together 10, 10' sections. I also found 2" suction hose, which is reinforced so it doesn't collapse. Tractor supply has it for $2.19 a foot, so $219 for 100....

Gluing together 10 sections of PVC is rather trivial, and should not add more than 10-15 minutes to the job, particularly a job like this where you can afford to be a little sloppy (or inexperienced) on your joints since it will not matter if they end up leaking a little.

Ike

The cheaper type would probably be the black PE (polyethylene) type used for drip irrigation systems.

This one is somewhat expandable as well, so ice can not damage it, but will make it come off fittings, so after freezing a close inspection of fittings used for this kind of hose is required.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. I ordered the poly from home depot. They don't have 2" fittings. I'll try the local plumbing supply or the internet. I want to do a 2" barb, then run a couple feet of clear suction hose, then switch to the poly for the 100' run across my yard and down a hill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.