Pool Replaster Question

skimmerswimmer

Jul 30, 2013
Long Island, NY
Hi All,

I have all 20x40 gunite pool which was originally constructed in 1975. It was replastered about 12 years ago and I've received a few quotes for resurfacing it with regular white plaster, all coming in between about $6500 and $9000. One of the contracts I'm looking at requires half up front as a deposit, and the balance on the day the plaster is installed. Is this typical? Would you give a contractor half the money before they even show up? It seems the wording in the contract is all about protecting the contractor about possible issues, not the customer. How can a customer ensure that they will be satisfied after laying out all of this money?

Also, has anyone here had good experience with a pool replasterer in the NY area? Is it better to resurface in the fall or in the spring, considering the pool will be closed for the winter? Thanks for any advice!

Hey, As a pool company owner, I too require half upfront and most companies do the same. Just make sure there is a written contract signed. Also, I recommend using Diamond Brite Pool Plaster, they have very nice colors and the quality is the best. The total job should be around $8500-$9500 depending on colors and mixtures.

I would never pay all the rest on the day of install....no way. They should be responsible for startup, which will take anywhere from a day or two to a couple weeks. Maybe try to get 10 or 15% left til the very end? Others with more experience can comment...

I wonder why 50% down is standard...how much could the actual materials cost? I've also been looking at the Pebble Fina line as an upgrade which is about $2500 more than the standard plaster.

Is there any advantage to doing the work in the spring so that the chemicals can be monitored all summer rather than risking the new surface sitting over the winter with no maintenance?

I would do it in the spring. Just tell him that you will pay the final payment 15 days after completion of all punch list items and delivery of mechanic's lein releases. Those are generally the terms between contractors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.