SLAM process question

Ame

May 22, 2013
Phoenix Arizona
SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

CC level is above 0.5, and the free chlorine (FC) level is zero, started to SLAM the pool.
Prerequisites:
You need to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test :-D
You also need to know your current CYA level 60 ish, and then look up the corresponding FC shock level. :-D
USING bleach or liquid chlorine when SLAMing. :-D
Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. :-D
Run the pump 24/7 until you are done SLAMing :-D running on recirculate* should I run filter?

SLAM:
Measure the FC level= ** 0.1

Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level ** up to 25

Repeat steps 1 and 2 as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:
CC is 0.5 or lower;** waiting on fas/dpd reading

You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less); **I not sure if i was supposed to test this morning with the fas/dpd?

And the water is clear.** water has always been clear

Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add more less frequently.
***So last night I added enough to get to 25 FC which is my shock level for my current level of CYA. I did not add more yet... How long do I keep it at shock level? Should I have my SWG running? Should my SWG be off during SLAM? My PH was at 7.3 when I started.
When do I test with the fas/dpd test and how high should FC be?( always at shock level?)

Brush the entire pool once a day** will do
Backwash or clean the filter as needed** will do

should I run filter?

You should run on filter to filter out any dead algae

**I not sure if i was supposed to test this morning with the fas/dpd?
Yes ... If the water is clear bring it up to SLAM - test after sun goes down and again before it comes up.

***So last night I added enough to get to 25 FC which is my shock level for my current level of CYA. I did not add more yet... How long do I keep it at shock level?
Until the water is clear / the algae is dead / you pass the OCLT

Should I have my SWG running?
Not for the OCLT ... and optional during the SLAM.

Should my SWG be off during SLAM?
Optional except for the OCLT - off for the OCLT.

My PH was at 7.3 when I started.
When do I test with the fas/dpd test and how high should FC be?( always at shock level?)

Always bring it back to shock level.

So thanks guys for all the great info you've armed me with. Now family is mad at me for starting the SLAM process when the pool was perfectly clear. I was worried because my FC dropped to 0 then would only rise to 1.0. Is it safe to swim in SLAM water 25:FC?
-Once my SLAM process is complete. And the OCLT is completed. Do I run my SWG and see if FC stays steady between 3-5? and let the liquid chlorine slowly dissapate?

Ame said:
So thanks guys for all the great info you've armed me with. Now family is mad at me for starting the SLAM process when the pool was perfectly clear. I was worried because my FC dropped to 0 then would only rise to 1.0. Is it safe to swim in SLAM water 25:FC?
-Once my SLAM process is complete. And the OCLT is completed. Do I run my SWG and see if FC stays steady between 3-5? and let the liquid chlorine slowly dissapate?
Yes, it's safe to swim up to shock level. If the water is clear, you'll probably pass the overnight test tomorrow morning and then just let FC drop by itself.

So my SLAM process seems to have gone well.
I am now maintaining FC between 7-8 and will be reducing my SWG run time, going to keep it approx FC=5.
My CC has bee at .5 consistently.
But 1st I believe I need to raise my CYA a bit from 55 to 70.( I kept it lower during my SLAM on purpose, I knew it was low, And on your advise did not increase until SLAM was done.)
My PH is a little high at 7.8 but I think that adding CYA lowers PH right? should I get my CYA up 1st before changing my SWG run time?

Ame said:
So my SLAM process seems to have gone well.
I am now maintaining FC between 7-8 and will be reducing my SWG run time, going to keep it approx FC=5.
My CC has bee at .5 consistently.
But 1st I believe I need to raise my CYA a bit from 55 to 70.( I kept it lower during my SLAM on purpose, I knew it was low, And on your advise did not increase until SLAM was done.)
My PH is a little high at 7.8 but I think that adding CYA lowers PH right? should I get my CYA up 1st before changing my SWG run time?
You have things figured out.

If you plug your numbers into http://www.poolcalculator.com/ then scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals and plug in the quantity of CYA it calls for, you'll see what effect it should have on pH. Hint: it should lower it almost .3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.