Redoing pool- need opinions

Jul 30, 2013
North New jersey
So its finally time to update and redo my 27 year old pool...

the pool is a vinyl 21X41 Grecian /36k gal. It currently has a 27 year old 1 hp single speed pump that whines like a banshy at times :party:

The current filter is a Hayward 36ft2 E filter that has a tear on one of the fins which is now leaking DE back into the pool.

We jsut recently replaced the 27 year old liner, with a new 28 mil loop loc

Now its time to take out the old and start with the new. i've ben contimplating between DE's sand or Cartridge filters. I'm starting to lean more towards the cartridge filters now..like the Jandy 580...but im still open for suggestions.

I'm also looking at a Pentair VS with a EasyTouch system 9 or is it less hassle getting a pentai VF with controller built on?

I'm also debating on getting a SWG or sticking with the old chlorine method... i've read a few posts of ppl having issues with their SWG reading lower then actual salt content inthe pool , and that temp play a big part in these readings...and since my pools not heated...the temp can fluctuate....so im not sure which direction to go.

and speaking of heating...i dont know its worth getting a heater since we donthave gas here and would have to get a propane unit..which would need the install of a very large propane tank..and thoughs?

Welcome to tfp, timelessr1 :wave:

That is a great looking pool! How certain are you of the volume?...36K seems a little large for the dimensions you posted. What depths is it?

If your pool is 36K gallons then we would recommend as minimums:
  • Cartridge filter: 534 sq. ft.
    Sand filter: 6.7 q. ft.
    DE filter: 100 sq. ft.

As for swgs, I love mine!

Thanks linen!

the deep end is 8 1/2 feet deep..the shallow is 4 feet...its also 21 feet wide..not the normal 20... what are you getting as gallons?

Whoa!! so i was severly under filtered with the current 36 sqft DE filter??

it looked like the Jandy cartridge was one of the largest offered...do they even offer larger residential units?

I was looking at the Pentair IC-60 unit...this way i dont have to run it constantly at a higher %

With those depths I get about 36000 also.

Yes, we would consider your DE filter undersized. How often did you have to backwash/clean it?

Jandy, Hayward and Pentair offer cartridge filters that are large in their residential stuff...jandy up to 580, pentair up to 520, hayward up to 725 (also a 525).

For swgs...we recommend sizing them at least 1.5-3 times the pool size.

timelessr1 said:
It currently has a 27 year old 1 hp single speed pump that whines like a banshy at times :party:
Wow...This just set a record (to me anyway) for the longest pump life I have heard so far.

When replacing the pump, I would suggest considering only 2-speed or variable-speed models. The general rule of thumb is if your electric rates are $0.20 per kWh or less, a 2-speed is more cost effective compared to a variable-speed. Above that, a variable-speed becomes more attractive. If your rates are near the borderline, you may want to consider the recent trend in your rates. If they have risen consistently, you may want to opt for the variable-speed. Manufacturers have recently began introducing new variable-speed pumps. This article explains some of these new pumps and is well worth reading.

BTW, that pool looks fantastic and up-to-date. Never would have guessed it was 27 years old.

linen- I end up backwashing like once a month...so maybe about 4-5 times during the season.

Bo- thanks for the info! I'm going to read that article...I'm leaning towards a VS pump and possibly with the EasyTouch, which hopefully I can really dial in the speed of the pump for maximum efficiency of electric usage....I would think a two speed pump wouldn't allow me to really fine tune that..since its either set high or low.

And thanks...I try to maintain my stuff...but im even shocked that the pump made it this long..on the original bearings! I'll get a pic up soon of the prehistoric pump and filter

timelessr1 said:
So its finally time to update and redo my 27 year old pool...

the pool is a vinyl 21X41 Grecian /36k gal. It currently has a 27 year old 1 hp single speed pump that whines like a banshy at times :party:

The current filter is a Hayward 36ft2 E filter that has a tear on one of the fins which is now leaking DE back into the pool.

We jsut recently replaced the 27 year old liner, with a new 28 mil loop loc

Now its time to take out the old and start with the new. i've ben contimplating between DE's sand or Cartridge filters. I'm starting to lean more towards the cartridge filters now..like the Jandy 580...but im still open for suggestions.

I'm also looking at a Pentair VS with a EasyTouch system 9 or is it less hassle getting a pentai VF with controller built on?

I'm also debating on getting a SWG or sticking with the old chlorine method... i've read a few posts of ppl having issues with their SWG reading lower then actual salt content inthe pool , and that temp play a big part in these readings...and since my pools not heated...the temp can fluctuate....so im not sure which direction to go.

and speaking of heating...i dont know its worth getting a heater since we donthave gas here and would have to get a propane unit..which would need the install of a very large propane tank..and thoughs?

I have to say I LOVE the smaller pond to the side. That is great. I've always liked the small yard ponds and what a great idea to use it as part of the landscaping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.