BBB Newbie with a question

Thesil

Jun 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Hi, I recently became a BBB convert and have started to use Arm and Hammer baking soda ( Costo 13lb bag for $6.59 ) I still have my New Water Cycler paks ( Trichlor ) that I want to use up as they were very expensive ( $47) per pak. My question is: after my Cycler paks are done , probably next week, I will then switch to Clorox. I assume that all I have to do is test the water and start using the bleach. Am I correct? Is there anything else I should know? I am so glad that I found this site. I purchased a Taylor test kit, so no more pool store for me

You are correct. Start by testing the water. Since you're using trichlor you may have to drain some water to get the CYA down, but maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones that has enough backwash and splashout that it's not an issue.

You are almost right....you should test your water for pH and CYA BEFORE you use the trichlor as it will increase CYA and lower pH. If they are in the correct ranges (read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School) then you are good to go.

Haha, yes. When I first started caring for my pool I was under the impression that you added baking soda to try to help clean, since that is what the bag seemed to suggest. I was hoping you didn't fall for the same thing I did. My TA was high for a couple years afterwards!

PS: Hope the question didn't come off wrong, it was my way of welcoming you to the TFP fraternity :cheers:

LOL , no not at all. I do appreciate the great feedback and help here. I can't wait for my trichlor to run out and start the bleach method. The cost of pool chemicals at the store was getting prohibitive
I wish I new about this forum 6 years ago
thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.