Fighting CYA

Jul 26, 2013
Just stumbled on to your site bout a week ago after the pool store employee (little girl behind the counter) told me I needed to empty my pool and replace with fresh water. Thank you Thank you for this web site. Lots of very useful info. I now have been schooled on CYA.
Here are my numbers. Question-I have now removed and replaced about 6 inches of water 3 times. I know from this website not to completely empty pool but what is the safest amount I can empty.

FC-0.3
Total Alk-120
Adjusted Alk-75 by the way which one do we go by?
PH-8
CYA-151

How much you can empty depends a lot on where you are. If you live in New Orleans, where the water table is inches down, you can't drain much or the pool will float. If you're on a well and it's 200 feet to water, you can drain the whole thing.

Use Total Alkalinity. That's the number your test kit will give you... which is something you need to have, because pool store results are not to be trusted. Study the history chart in this thread for an example.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.