can you help identify my heater?

phawn

Jul 29, 2013
mn
I purchased a used pool that came with a gas heater. It is a large ruud unit approximately 6 years old that used only a gas connection. There is an on/off switch and temperature dial near the top of the unit. I went to the ruud website and they only have current models shown.
Should there be a product number on it? If so, where? Any info would be useful as it would apply to installing and proper use.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

A picture might help. Are you just looking for the manual or is there something specific you need to know?

Thanks, I am hopefully loading a couple pics with this.
this is used equipment and we have no manuals. Therefore any info on proper use and installation would be helpful. We are starting from scratch with the pool and this heater. All I know is that there was only a gas line run to it.[attachment=0:2sg71msl]20130730_115019.jpg[/attachment:2sg71msl]

Attachments

• 20130730_115000.jpg
    20130730_115000.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20130730_115026.jpg
    20130730_115026.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20130730_115019.jpg
    20130730_115019.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 59
The door on the front below the controls should come off - there will be a wiring diagram and part number on the inside of the door.

You may aslo want to search Raypak, they were sold under both brands.

... looks like a 206 with the manual controls option to me...

So you bought a pool from someone and they also included the heater? Did they tell you anything about the heater like last time it was used etc?

This is an older unit which is now the same as Raypak.

What if any specific questions do you have regarding this unit?

The only info I received from prior owner was that it worked (too good) about 4 years ago but he stopped using it because of the cost to operate. I got the cover off and it actually had a Raypak sticker and it looks like it is the 266 with the millivolt power so no additional electrical needed. So my understanding in moving forward is that I should run a 1" line to the install location. The gas line will need to be buried 18". I am trying to contact our gas company to see if they do that or if I need to do it myself. On a related question, does this heater seem appropriate for the pool we are also installing (18X34X4' AGP)?
Thanks

Just a matter of how many hours your pump will be running, what temperature you want to maintain, and if you're going to use a solar cover or not.
You have about 18,360 gallons of water, or 152,388 lbs.
To raise the water temperature 10 degrees, you need 1,523,880 btus (152,388 lbs x 10 degrees). Since your heater burns 266,000 btus/hr and with an average efficiency of 75%, you're only introducing 199,500 btus. Therefore, 1,523,880/199,500 = 7.6 hrs are needed of heater run time to get the temperature up an additional 10 degrees.
Here's the impact of the solar cover. If you do NOT use it, you should expect to lose approximately 50% of that heat, or about 4 hrs per day to maintain the 10 degrees increase after the initial heating run. If you use a solar cover, you'll lose approximately 20% of that heat, or a little less than 2 hrs to maintain it.
Most people will heat the pool on demand, rather than keeping it heated up. If that's the case, then expect for your heater to run at least 7.6 hrs in order to get your pool 10 degrees higher.
You can make the same calculations for higher temperature increases by replacing the 10 degrees in the first section above, with your desired temperature increase.

Regarding the gas line size, you're best having your local gas company or authorized pool contractor answer that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.