Stonescapes minipebble Tahoe or Tropics blue?

May 28, 2013
Houston, Tx
Is Tahoe Stonescapes the equivalent of Blue Granite? My pool builders keeps calling it blue granite but were are getting stonescapes mini pebble brand not the actual peeblesheen brand. They do use the same company to do the plaster that is Pebble Sheen licensed.

I don't want a gray looking pool. When I put the two samples in water the Tropics seems more blue. Is it a lighter color than the Tahoe?

I would like a real blue color both deep and bright but not real dark (lagoon looking). Anyone have experience with these two color choices? Thanks.

Also my PB was insistant that we don't want to go darker than Blue Granite because of safety issues. I think they must get a big discount on that color. LOL

Have you checked the photo gallery on NPT's website? Every pool will look slightly different with the same finish so it's hard to say what your finish will end up looking like but at least from looking at thier examples you know around what it will look like.

Here are a few Pics from their website of their Stonescapes Tahoe Blue color:
StoneScapes%20Tahoe%20Blue%2C%20CA%20%286%29.jpg

Stonescapes-REG-Tahoe-Blue%2C-Boston-MA%2C--FOUR-Aug-2011.jpg

StoneScapes-Tahoe-Blue-REG-%281%29.jpg

here is a pic of their "Tropics Blue" in mini pebble.
Splash-Pool-Plastering-092A.jpg

One of the others here had the Tahoe installed and were a little dissatisfied with the appearance. I know it's all personal preferences.

I like the look of the Tahoe but it always seems to have a touch of green in the photos I have seen. I have not seen these in person. I have seen lake Tahoe in person and it does have a tinge of green in the crystal clear water of Tahoe. Tahoe has some of the clearest water in a lake, I think it is also the largest alpine lake.

Thanks for the time! I have been looking at their site also. I think we are going to settle on the Tropics bc we have white coping and blue waterline tile. the decking will be light in color. Worried it might come out to light but worried the blue granite will come out gray. Feels like a gamble on how a color will come out no matter which.

During my process, I've found out that it's a total gamble because it's so hard to tell the outcome based on a tiny sample not to mention the lighting plays a huge role. Here's my Tahoe Blue color. My deck looks white because of the bright light, but it's actually gray concrete.

d5f95079-d738-4313-a69a-c2c1eef3bade_zps07ec4198.jpg

74071ddc-2f6c-453d-a741-97f38a7df5b5_zps4414e78b.jpg

0c224cd8-eaff-4aae-bf81-81d5014debd4_zps5fab35f3.jpg

Post pictures of yours after it's done. I'd love to see Tropics Blue. We considered it but was concerned it would come out too light as well.

* edited to add another picture

Safety issues? Excuse me? I would love to hear that explanation. As for color I am opposite as I prefer the natural blue color that lighter and medium greys create. They really give some gorgeous blues and the only place you even notice any grey is on shelves or steps. We also like the green-ish ones as well. Most of the greens give stunning blue colors. All personal preference, and none are wrong, just what you like.

We went with a dark blue (ocean blue ps) and after looking at a few I still don't understand the safety issue part. I do know that it costs more by it has the abalone shells in it already. Maybe that's the reason they don't want you to look at them?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am baffled by the concerns of the safety of dark pool finishes. If your water is clear, you can see anything or anybody in the pool. If the people in your pool do not have dark blue skin, they will show up quite nicely against a dark blue background!

Well I think its funny, that all the pool builders that talked to said we could not pick black, now why have the sample in the box with you, if your not going to allow anyone to pick it.

They all claim its safety reasons, supposedly, you can not tell how deep the pool is if its darker color, so you think its deeper than it is, and you dive head first into the shallow in. That's what they said. lol

We had the same decision - Tahoe Blue or Tropics Blue (Midnight Blue was too dark for us). We have a NPT Tile office here in Dallas (who make Stonescapes) and dropped in to speak with them about it. They said Tahoe Blue is their most popular color. It can have a slight green tint to it depending on the particular application, lighting, depth, etc. Tropics blue is [supposed to be] a little more blue and slightly darker.

The color ranges are listed in order of light to dark here: http://www.nptpool.com/pool-finishes/st ... ni-pebbles.

We went with the Tropics Blue and had our first plaster day yesterday (acid washing today). I'll post some additional pics after we get the water in.

chris

[attachment=0:14kzk6li]WP_20130801_008.jpg[/attachment:14kzk6li]

Attachments

• WP_20130801_008.jpg
    WP_20130801_008.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 1,854
christophertx said:
We had the same decision - Tahoe Blue or Tropics Blue (Midnight Blue was too dark for us). We have a NPT Tile office here in Dallas (who make Stonescapes) and dropped in to speak with them about it. They said Tahoe Blue is their most popular color. It can have a slight green tint to it depending on the particular application, lighting, depth, etc. Tropics blue is [supposed to be] a little more blue and slightly darker.

We went with the Tropics Blue and had our first plaster day yesterday (acid washing today). I'll post some additional pics after we get the water in.

chris

Would love to see it with water in it (right after) and when you get the chems in line. I will be posting ours in our construction thread here. I think we get plaster early next week.

Here is a hybrid color - Tahoe Blue and a Midnite something or other.. It depends on the sky.. The only thing I've noticed is that the purple LED lights don't show up as well... but I don't care about that really.

Good luck!

I think it looks AWESOME!!!

I have to say that mine has a "mottled " look to it... Not sure why. It doesn't bother me too awful much, well not enough to gripe about it.

So far we are not sure if we have seen the final color due to lack of chemicals in the pool and dust. I think we will like it when though. With the smaller pool we get more shadow than pictured above most the time which makes the pool look darker.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.