Way to much chlorine??

Jul 14, 2013
So I'm new to water chemistry and the label on my chloraid said add 1/2 TBS per 100 gallons and my tub is 500. But I used the wrong cap and ended putting about 2 oz/ 10-12 TBS in. Now my test strips show 10 ppm free chlorine.

I just replaced my circ pump so my main concern is if its harmful to the equipment like the pump/filters/ozone.

Should I be concerned about my equipment? If so I may drain about half the tub. Or is it OK to leave in sun for a few days? Should I keep running the jets? Also is it OK to use?

Yep, that's Dichlor. Don't worry about the FC.

How much have you added in total during this fill? You want to be cognizant of your CYA and once it gets to about 30 ppm you want to switch to bleach for chlorination. There's an article in pool School about how to properly chlorinate your spa with Dichlor and bleach.

Bama Rambler said:
Yep, that's Dichlor. Don't worry about the FC.

How much have you added in total during this fill? You want to be cognizant of your CYA and once it gets to about 30 ppm you want to switch to bleach for chlorination. There's an article in pool School about how to properly chlorinate your spa with Dichlor and bleach.

I should have mentioned in the op this right after new fill.

My dad just added 1 oz of chlorine a WK for regular maintenance. Is that OK? My spa has a ozoniator/ozone generator whatevr you call it and from what I've read so far that allows you to use less chlorine?

So all you've added is 2 oz?

It doesn't really allow you to use less as it actually burns some of the FC itself so you wind up using about the same amount. I'd suggest you read the article in Pool School and follow that. It will make your life a lot easier.

Bama Rambler said:

It doesn't really allow you to use less as it actually burns some of the FC itself so you wind up using about the same amount. I'd suggest you read the article in Pool School and follow that. It will make your life a lot easier.

Correct all I've added is 2 oz so far.

Yeah I'm planning on learning about water chemistry. Thanks for the help

Bama Rambler said:

One more question

My pH and alkalinity were fine until I overdosed the chlorine. Now they're both low... Does it make sense for chlorine to throw them off like that? Is it okay to add alkalinity increase? Or should I wait for chlorine to come down a little.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.