Wasps in the post of my above ground pool -HELP!!

Jul 29, 2013
Hi,

We have a very large oval above ground pool with a deck built from our back porch all the way around the pool. We have had major trouble with wasps and have found where we think the nest is but can't get to it. Its down in one of the posts of the pool. These red wasps are very aggressive and have stung my three kids and neighbors several times this summer. We have tried many things to deter them or draw them away from the pool like store bought traps (didn't work) Raw meat hanging (didn't work) Wasp spray (only kills the ones that come out), Professional exterminator (did not work). What do we do?? The kids don't mess with them, in fact they are very cautious about it. A couple weeks ago my 6 yr old son bumped the side of the pool while swimming and got stung 5 times on his back. Now the kids won't go near the pool. I am and my wits end and need help, please , please , please!!

We have them too. Here's what I do. Spray in and behind the post with wasp spray and get all you can that way. Then fog the inside of the post with WD-40. I use about 1/4th a can per post. It will keep them away an entire season. There's something about the WD-40 that they don't like and it will stay there pretty much all year.

I would get some kind of fogger that you can get into the post - watch for where they go in and out ... and the best time to spray wasps is at dawn or dusk as most of them will be on their nest at that time.

Not sure that helps much ... but we battle wasps all the time here.

I always like using the wasp spray after dark when they are all in the nest. I just saturate the paper nest and let them fall to the ground. I don't know if it the truth or not but I have heard if you leave the empty nest hanging, no other family of wasp will move in. I have also heard if you make "fake nests" out of lunch bags and hang them like a nest, no nests will be made nearby your fake. They make fake ones but many complain they are not waterproof.

duraleigh said:
After dark, about a 1/2 cup of gasoline down the tube, quickly put a block of wood over it, and Mr Wasp is history.
Ahhh, gasoline. A man after my own heart. Killed plenty of yellow jackets that way. My gasoline method included a match, though, and I think yours doesn't.

My gasoline method included a match, though, and I think yours doesn't.
I would not suggest the match down a tube like that........ possible premature Fourth of July display. :mrgreen:

The vaporized fumes in that enclosed space is a guaranteed kill of roughly 100% in about 30 seconds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The gasoline will evaporate very quickly (probably an hour or less) but the residual gasoline smell will be down in the tube a while longer.

I don't think you need to do anything else. Unless you stick your nose up close to the tube, there should be no residual smell.

I'll bet you could use an air freshener if the smell was noticeable but I doubt it would be.

ah, wasps, me who was allergic until I took 5 years of shots. Living in rural area outdoors..I used to get them in the bottom of my farm gate posts, I would spray up into post to kill with the 27 ft type wasp spray. Then I put expanding foam or tons of walmart bags into the empty cavity to prevent the return. I spray all my light fixtures, behind shutters and the "usual wasp places' every year or two> I alsoi bought these fake paper wasp nests, 2 for 10$ online and sprayed them with clear sealant and put them in my barn and aviary. I have to spray my tractor every year too. They like to get where the rain won't mess their nests.

duraleigh said:
My gasoline method included a match, though, and I think yours doesn't.
I would not suggest the match down a tube like that........ possible premature Fourth of July display. :mrgreen:

The vaporized fumes in that enclosed space is a guaranteed kill of roughly 100% in about 30 seconds.

My stepbrother tried that approach in an enclosed shed when he was 12. He received 3rd degree burns over 80% of his body.

Thank for all your advice everyone!! There are some great ideas here. We went out there right at dusk last night and put gasoline down the post(that is just what we had on hand). No matches used!! Hopefully it did the trick!!

Bama Rambler said:
There's something about the WD-40 that they don't like and it will stay there pretty much all year.
I have used WD-40 as a deterrent and it has worked pretty well. In the spring, I spray it around the patio where the walls meet the ceiling - previously a favorite place for wasps to build their nests. I usually hit it again with another application in early summer and that seems to do the trick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.