Intermittent High Salinity Reading on Jandy Aquapure 1400

krag58

Jul 29, 2013
My pool's salinity is fine, 3300 ppm according to the pool store. When my salt cell is resting, the salinity sensor agrees with that reading. However, whenever my "cell on" light comes on, the salinity reading immediately jumps up to 5000 ppm, then reads "H.H" and the salt cell turns back off. After 10 seconds or so, the salinity reading comes back into range. When it drops below 4000 ppm, the salt cell turns on again, and the cycle repeats.

I have performed the front board test, and a couple of the numbers were off by one. I am told that is no big deal and that my front board is probably ok. I also did the voltage checks on the salt cell and the backboard, and all was well.

My next step, I think, is to replace the flow/salinity sensor. This is proving more difficult and expensive than I thought it would, because I have the old-style 2-port cell with the separate sensor. Most of the sensors I find online are designed to fit into the third port of the new-style cells, and I'm not sure if those will work with my system. The price difference between those and the few old-style sensors is significant, though...

Am I doing the right thing here? And do I have to go with the more expensive sensor? Are they interchangeable?

Re: Intermittent High Salinity Reading on Jandy Aquapure 140

I just went through a similar issue and the new sensor solved the problem. Before you go replace the sensor though...how old is your cell? Does it have a lot of hours on it?

Anyway, since you have the two port cell like me, you need Jandy/Zodiac part R0403700. I got it on Amazon and had it shipped in two days. They also have the 16' version but unless you need the extra length, go for the cheaper 8' cable model.

The part will be slightly different (better) than the original sensor. The sensors will be seated in a more durable black polymer instead of the white. They've also added a small circuit board adapter that goes into the front board and then you plug the cable into that. It apparently gives the system more reliable sensor readings.

It comes with instructions but it's pretty straight forward to install.

Thanks so much for the reply! Our salt cell is only a few months old. I'm told that we should've replaced the sensor along with the cell. Anyway, we have the new sensor installed now, and everything seems to be working fine. I have another question for you though. Are you able to find replacement cells for your system? We had the hardest time locating the 2-port version of this cell when we replaced ours. We finally got one on ebay, but we are worried there will not be any around next time we need one. Our plumbing is cramped and doesn't leave room ro accomodate the new-style 3-port cell...

That is going to be a tough one. It's going to get more and more difficult to find the old style. Your ebay route may be your only hope. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm just waiting for the replace cell error codes to appear. It came with our house (foreclosure) and I don't have a clue how much more she's got left or if it is even the original cell or not. So far it's lasted 1 1/2 seasons....

Since the sensor is attached to the new cell, they had to make it bigger and like you said, you will be making some plumbing modifications. I've got space but if I want to continue using my old sensor with a new cell, at a minimum, I will have to put in some 45° elbows to continue using a vertical installation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.