Hi all...

I posted recently about closing our pool with some numbers asking if there was something I could/should do before putting the cover on our green pool. We didn't really get any responses, one person told me to read the article "closing an inground pool" which I did, it's a pretty lengthy post with pages and pages of replies and they all said different things, so I was hoping to get some specific help...

We backwashed the filter a little to empty some water to about the height of the returns, and put the cover on. I read a few times on the forum/people's posts that they closed their pools green knowing they would start fresh the next summer and there was one post in specific where I know a TFP "expert" wrote something along the lines of "Save your money at this point, cover it green" so I felt ok doing that.

Well what brings me back here....when you go near the pool now in the yard, it kind of gives off a smell....can't think of how to describe it, but I'm sure it's because it's still hot out and the algea is growing underneath? I just wonder if there's something I can be/should be doing to avoid this? Does it even matter?

I would really, really appreciate any help in this. My other post explained, I'm on partial bed rest expecting a baby in about 4 weeks, early maternity leave means husband working lots of overtime and pool can't be a priority right now. It was already causing us trouble and we decided to just close up for now and start fresh next year. We inherited this swampy mess when we purchased the home and have spent lots of time and money figuring out how to get it clear, discovered this site which has been great...so we know we'll be ready next spring.

So my question is - pool is closed, covered, and water inside is green. Should we be running the filter part of the day, adding even little bits of chlorine or anything else for any reason, etc? Again, I did read through as much as I could of that larger "closing your pool" post and tried to get as much info as possible, but any direct advice would really put my mind at ease as I sit here all big and pregnant I'd rather not worry my pool is falling apart out there! :cry:

So please - TFP experts, anyone - help!

I personally don't see any point in running the filter or adding bleach. The pool is green, and little amounts of bleach won't clear it up. I think that would just be throwing money away. Since it is already a green swamp, it can't get much worse.

That's what I figured....here's the post I was referencing, by the way, where someone said they waited too long to close the pool and it's very green...expert said to save money and close up.

why-bother-clearing-the-algae-t38734.html

Just wondering it the smell is something we'll just deal with until the temperature drops? Thanks for your reply though! I look forward to any other thoughts/help from people :)

Don't run the filter at all, in fact if you lowered the water level correctly you can't anyway.

Does the smell have a hint of ammonia? In a green pool that is covered bacteria can consume CYA and convert it to ammonia. This is normal and the CYA can be put back in the spring. It could also just be algae dying from lack of sunlight. Don't worry, as soon as you take the cover off and it gets some sunlight it will grow right back. It's amazing how fast a clear pool turns green when you open!

Hope all goes well with the family! Try not to get too stir crazy during your rest period, my wife was actually looking forward to going back to work after hers (she had one in the middle of the pregnancy and went back to work for a few weeks before the birth, long story).

Donldson, thanks for the tip....we lowered the water level until it wasn't being sucked into the skimmer anymore, so I know we wouldn't be able to run the filter (I thought if you guys were like YES OF COURSE RUN IT!!) we'd add some water back to be able to do so...glad we don't have to.

Ammonia might be it? It almost just smells like....idk maybe a lake or something? Hahah it's not necessarily a BAD smell, just weird to have the pool smell that way. If it's the algae dying then, oh well!

I'm continuing to read lots of people's posts about opening next year and getting started early. Can I stock up on bleach throughout the coming months as we see sales and things? Or can the bleach "go bad"?

Bleach does lose it's strength over time so I wouldn't buy more than a month in advanced. It doesn't go bad but you end up with a weaker chlorine than you paid for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.