Daily Testing

May 20, 2013
United States
I am approaching close to one full week with my first pool ever. So far I have been using the BBB method and so far, everything has been great. My question is this, what should I be doing to test my daily chlorine use? Should I be using the test in the blue box (taylor) for the daily and add chlorine based on that? (If it reads 3, add enough bleach to raise it by 2ppm). I have the tf100 test kit by the way. I ask because I'm assuming I'll run out of stuff quick if i'm doing the FAS-DPD chlorine test daily (or twice daily, as I was doing at first).

LookBehindYou said:
I am approaching close to one full week with my first pool ever. So far I have been using the BBB method and so far, everything has been great. My question is this, what should I be doing to test my daily chlorine use? Should I be using the test in the blue box (taylor) for the daily and add chlorine based on that? (If it reads 3, add enough bleach to raise it by 2ppm). I have the tf100 test kit by the way. I ask because I'm assuming I'll run out of stuff quick if i'm doing the FAS-DPD chlorine test daily (or twice daily, as I was doing at first).

The blue box test will just show you if chlorine is present ..... mine is woefully inaccurate so i do the FAS-DPD test every day or two.... i can do it in no time at all and i prefer the more accurate test.

The powder that came with my test kit lasted into year 2 and is fairly inexpensive so i wouldn't worry about the cost.

Folks do both.

While the OTO (blue box) is VERY imprecise, it is quite repeatable in that the shade will stay pretty consistent from day to day if your TC stays consistent. It is a lot more convenient and works OK for many people.

Others simply like the precision the FAS/DPD drops test provides....there's never any doubt. It's a little slower but very reassuring and I would guess that maybe half the users on here use it exclusively.

Luckily you know how to do it right, so odds are you won't do it wrong. I personally test daily with the k-1000 and 1-2 times a week with the FAS-DPD test. I have gotten to know my pool pretty well and know if the yellow is the wrong shade. The FAS-DPD test confirms my findings and assures me there are no CCs, or will warn me if a problem is creeping up.

So if you like the idea of doing it daily, then by all means do so! You shouldn't need more than one refill a season, if that.

Like the others have said the OTO test is just a down and dirty test to see if chlorine is present. This site teaches you how to learn YOUR pool. They are all just a little different. Use the FAS/DPD test to get your numbers. After some time you will start to see a trend. You might even get to a point where every other day you need to test and just judge it off the amount of sun or cloud cover you had. Also most use the 10ml sample and one scoop of powder. Your other test you will learn also. I test TA about once every two weeks. My pH is very stable unless I run the fountain. I test that once a week or every two days with the fountain running. Start keeping a log and you will learn your pools needs :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.