Cloudy blue water help!!

Jun 21, 2013
We just had a 27'x54" agp installed 2 1/2 weeks ago with a sand filter the pump is 2hp......our pool was filled with creek water since we live on a well....it's was brown at first now it's a cloudy blue and it's driving me nuts I have had the water tested numerous times and every time they say the water has the perfect chemistry!! I just had the water tested this past Friday and it was showing very low chlorine levels they believe something is eating up all the chlorine I put rapid shock in and added de to the skimmer basket and then woke up this morning after turning the filter off overnight and the bottom was a brownish color which we vacuumed and it stirred everything right back up I'm ready to give up tonight I put 3 gallons of 8.25% bleach in.... I don't know what else to do I just ordered the tf100 test kit....please help I'm desperate!!! My kids want to have a pool party for their bdays the end of Aug so that's adding more pressure on me....any advice please

I can't be sure without a posting of test results.....but n my experience most of what you are seeing is probably the little bit of sediment left from the muddy water. If you shock one more time, then let it circulate for a few hours....then turn off the pump, letting it settle to the bottom again....I would vacuum all that to waste (not send it back to the pool). Your filter is having a hard time catching all of it. When you do vacuum it out....move the vacuum very slow as to stir up as little as possible. This well not make it perfect, but will help....and keep up with the DE.

I just ordered the tf100 test kit.
That's a huge step towards getting your water sparkling. Stay out of the pool store and test your own water as soon as you get your kit. (It'll ship today).

Meanwhile, I would add about 3/4 gallon of bleach to your pool each evening until you can post your own test results.

Next, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

Your second read should be "SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain" in the How To section of Pool School.

Continue to brush, vacuum and run your pump 24/7.

Have you added any CYA to your pool yet?

With the test kit on the way and if you follow what is going to be advised on this thread and dump the pool store you shouldn't have a problem with a pool party by the end of August.

I'm pretty new here and it took me a while to take dive in seriously but after a major disaster 4 weeks ago I did a lot more reading here.

Link one you need to read is this...
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

My biggest mistake was not understanding this...
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
YOU MUST KNOW YOUR CYA LEVEL! Boy, I learned that lesson the hard way.
I let my CYA go to 0 then I let my FC fall to zero by not paying attention to my pool for 48 hours.
My biggest mistake was trusting the pool store number for my CYA. It was 0 and they said 30.
I will never trust the pool store numbers ever again yet I did earlier this year despite all the pleading from people on this site not to do so.
In 48 hours, because of my mistakes and neglect, my pool went from crystal clear to so cloudy you couldn't see the second rung on my ladder.
Took me 3 weeks to clear up. But again it took so long because I still didn't educate myself properly.

Now, I am serious, my pool is back to crystal clear and I know absolutely how to keep it that way.

no I didn't put any cya in the pool I can post numbers as soon as I get the test kit it should be here this week........as for the de how much should I put in the pool place gave me the last batch which I felt didn't do much it was probably 1/4 cup maybe I need more????

Welcome to tfp, Divers3 :wave:

If you have a sand filter, there is no need to put DE in it. It is an option though, but if you are fighting algae (which I would guess you are), it is better to wait with the DE.

duraleigh has fast shipping on the TF-100 (did you order from tftestkits.net?), so I bet you get it soon.

Ok I went to the pool place to have them test my water cuz I don't have patience to wait for my kit to get here......we have a hayward sand filter 2hp pump 17,250 gallons of water ag pool.....here are the results
Total chlorine 10
Free chlorine 10
Ph 7.6
Total alkalinity 100
Calcium hardness 100
Stabilizer(cyanuric acid) 0
Keep in mind I poured 3 gallons of 8.25%bleach in last night :shock:
Phosphate levels 300-500

CLOUDY BLUE WATER HELP!!!!!!!!

We just had a 27'x54" agp installed 2 1/2 weeks ago with a sand filter the pump is 2hp......our pool was filled with creek water since we live on a well....it's was brown at first now it's a cloudy blue and it's driving me nuts I have had the water tested numerous times and every time they say the water has the perfect chemistry!! I just had the water tested this past Friday and it was showing very low chlorine levels they believe something is eating up all the chlorine I put rapid shock in and added de to the skimmer basket and then woke up this morning after turning the filter off overnight and the bottom was a brownish color which we vacuumed and it stirred everything right back up I'm ready to give up tonight I put 3 gallons of 8.25% bleach in.... I don't know what else to do I just ordered the tf100 test kit....please help I'm desperate!!! Ok I went to the pool place to have them test my water cuz I don't have patience to wait for my kit to get here......we have a hayward sand filter 2hp pump 17,250 gallons of water ag pool.....here are the results
Total chlorine 10
Free chlorine 10
Ph 7.6
Total alkalinity 100
Calcium hardness 100
Stabilizer(cyanuric acid) 0
Keep in mind I poured 3 gallons of 8.25%bleach in last night :shock:
Phosphate levels 300-500

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With 0 cya in your water, putting that much bleach into your pool at once is quite a bit and should have raised you FC to ~ 15 ppm. Most likely the pool store can't measure above 10 ppm FC. Do you have a drop based 2-way kit that measure chlorine (total chlorine OTO test) and ph? If you do, then use that and watch your chlorine level until it is measurable (the OTO chlorine test can measure up to 5 ppm). Then add a gallon of 8.25% bleach...that will add ~ 5ppm FC and then wait until your chlorine has dropped down to something measurable again on your kit.

Also, it appears that you have not put any cyanuric acid (cya) into your pool yet? Cya is in stabilizer/conditioner, trichlor (usually pucks), and dichlor (powder/granules). If you haven't used any of these than you can assume that you have no cya and can add enough to get to 30 ppm, so you are ready to do the SLAM process when your kit gets there.

I looked up the "rapid shock"...if it is "Pool Life Rapid shock" then it is calcium hypochlorite, and it would not have added any cya to your water. I would stop using it (at least for now) though.

Ok I will put stabilizer in it tomorrow.....I was gonna turn the filter off and let the junk drop to the bottom then vacuum it on waste should I ?? Just because everytime we vacuum it it just stirs things up

Stabilizer can be added by placing it inside of a sock (or bra bag like I do) and then suspended in front of the return, away from the wall. The water returning to the pool will dissolve it. If placed in the skimmer, it can dislodge into the pump or create a high concentration area n the skimmer/pump.

Fairly certain Stabilizer is meant to be poured in the skimmer at a slow rate, it will then make its way through lines, pump and eventually will sit on top of the sand in the filter and slowly disolve and bring levels to appropriate levels. It should always be very small granules and shouldnt affect any pump over 3/4 HP.

pooladdict said:
Fairly certain Stabilizer is meant to be poured in the skimmer at a slow rate, it will then make its way through lines, pump and eventually will sit on top of the sand in the filter and slowly disolve and bring levels to appropriate levels. It should always be very small granules and shouldnt affect any pump over 3/4 HP.
We recommend two approaches to adding cya and in both cases the stabilizer is put into an old sock. In one method you put the sock in the skimmer and the other method (my preferred method) is to put the sock in front of the return flow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.