CYA is way too low - Advice please!

Yep, your SLAM level (aka shock level) is 20 ppm per the chlorine/cya chart. Keep it up at that level, don't let it drop as low as it did if you can help it.

It is safe to get in the water at or below you FC shock value (20 ppm for your 50 ppm cya).

I just got home and added 188 more oz of Bleach to hopefully get the FC up to 20. I'm glad to know I can get in the pool tomorrow, because the grotto will need to be brushed real good, and I can do a much better job when I'm in the water. Should I run the drains too? Or is that going to mess up the numbers?

Oh boy.. BIG problem somewhere.. I'm afraid I have something lurking in my sparkly water behind a loose light ring.

Trying to get to shock level of 20 and hold.

Last night FC at 12
Added 357 oz Bleach to get to shock level

9:00 am - FC 18
Added 144 oz bleach

2:00 pm FC 16
Added 97 oz bleach

7:00 pm FC 15
Am now adding 121 oz Bleach

The water is at 91 degrees, in the hot Texas sun, all day, every day.

Going out to brush - again.

Thanks Linen.. That makes me feel better! Mike is going in to check the light niche in the grotto. The ring has come loose and I saw a post earlier that showed someone's pics of some nasty black (???) behind there. :shock:

Then I'm off to the store to stock back up on bleach. :gone:

Brushing is done,
FC at 20.5.
Nothing at all in the light niche.

I'll check the FC again before I go to bed in a few hours. GAWD, I don't know what I would do with ta'll here at TFP!!!!!!!!!!!

It's beer time. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC at 18.5. Dang it. Pool ran all night and so did "Paul Aris."

Adding 37 oz bleach, and waiting on the temp to up past 100 today. :sunny:

I'll backwash when I get home from tour.

something is weird about your CYA level...your first post said you were at 20ppm and then two days later it was 50ppm. Do you think your 20ppm reading was wrong..because you'd never be able to see a big jump like that in two days. It normally takes a week to see a rise that large.

Dan

The CYA jumped because I added powdered stabilizer to make it come up. It still needs to be higher, (70-80) but I am working on the FC right now.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to raise the CYA level up some - might save me some $$$ in chlorine.

I'm pretty positive about the test.. mix the solution, wait a bit, shake bottle again, stand back to the sun with vial at waist level. Drip solution into vial until dot disappears. Repeat. (I just added the "repeat" part to my regiment.) I'm just now headed out to test the FC and CYA again, brush and backwash. I had better do that before the Texas sun gets in it's prime.

In the Process of SLAMing as well.

To check for overnight FC loss it must be done when there is no Sunlight (Sunlight eats chlorine) So first test at 10pm, and final test at 4am If no FC Loss your done SLAMing

4am SUCKS people should not be awake at that hour

Thanks Hummer.. I'm trying to maintain my FC at or a little over 20 all day long to keep fighting this monster in my pool. I don't think I'll pass the overnight test tonite either. (Not if I have to get up at 4:00am.. :lol: )

For the past few weeks I've had kiddos slathered in sunscreen, two of them in "swim" diapers (not sure how that helps) So I can just imagine..... My heart skips a beat when I see the Mom's dunk their "head-to-toe greased up kids" in my nearly drinkable water. I have to remember, THAT IS WHY I BUILT IT.

I will just deal with the cleanup. I should have prepared the pool better. Rookie mistake. :shock:

:lovetfp:

imrodee said:
For the past few weeks I've had kiddos slathered in sunscreen, two of them in "swim" diapers (not sure how that helps) So I can just imagine..... My heart skips a beat when I see the Mom's dunk their "head-to-toe greased up kids" in my nearly drinkable water. I have to remember, THAT IS WHY I BUILT IT.
Make those kids wait 15-20 minutes after applying the sunscreen before they enter the water. The sunscreen will then get absorbed by the skin instead of just instantly washing off in the water.

The swim diapers help contain a number 2 to the diaper, yes it does work. The DW teaches a lot of little ones and a couple times a season you find out that the diapers did their job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.