Before I SLAM!

Jun 16, 2013
Massachusetts
I plan on SLAMing my pool tomorrow; as there is a slight allergy growth. The water is mostly clear with a very slight haze in the deep end. I plan on starting to SLAM the pool tomorrow and just took a series of readings, which are:

P.H. = 7.5 - 7.8
FC = 2ppm
CC = .5ppm
TC = 2.5
TA = 120
Calcium = 360
CYA = 60

I just wanted to run my readings past you guys to see if anything should be adjusted. Is Calcium too high?

Another question: After I add the liquid chlorine as part of the SLAM, how long should I wait until I take my initial readings?

Your numbers are fine. Leave them alone.

If you are confident in your pool size and use poolcalculator.com it will tell you the correct dosage to get to your SLAM value of 20 ppm so there is no need to test, really.

That said, most like to test anyway so give it about an hour to distribute evenly in your pool.

From your initial does, your only tests you will need are FC and CC.

Keep that FC at 20 as constant as you can.

Isaac-1 said:
If your pH tends to drift up rapidly I would suggest lower pH a bit before you start since the pH test is unreliable at FC levels over 10 ppm otherwise good to go.
I concur. Add acid to lower pH to 7.2 and forget about it until you've passed the three tests for completion.

And why wait until tomorrow? If you take FC up to shock level tonight, you won't lose any FC to sunlight; every ounce you add will go to work on the algae. Add the acid, give the pool a brush to loosen the stuff from the walls and mix the acid, and hit it with bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.