Pump to filter hose fitting leaking (filter side)

Jun 5, 2013
Hi all. Looking for a bit of help with plumbing troubleshooting with which I am not familiar.

The filter side fitting ("manifold" as I call it - the piece that fits directly into the filter head to which the pump hose connects) seems to be leaking. It drips down the fitting and onto the sand filter base itself. Pressure has s corresponding decrease from about 20 to 16ish. Pool level seems to be slowly dropping but not quickly and certainly manageable. Return jet sputters occasionally.

So, how to fix? I know short term I could try duct taping it, but I feel that would be difficult given the leak is seemingly on the face of where the fitting connects into the filter, on the hex threading, not on the lateral round part. Maybe caulking will do the trick?

If I had to replace the fitting itself, would I have to drain the entire pool (above ground pool and filter is lower than water level)?

Thanks for your help for a noob pool owner. The whole system is old and inherited in my new house, so it seems to slowly be falling apart.

Trying to upload pics with right filesize.

You would typically unscrew the fitting and apply thread sealent on the threads and screw it back into place. Sometimes this is easier said than done as sometimes this requires cutting pipe and using a union or coupling

This will be a bit of a stretch since I'm a noob - but can you clear the water out before doing this? Should I have to drain my pool first, or is there another way to do this locally and still keep the pool water?

I know back when I had above ground pool, I always had problems with hose leaks (or hose collapse on the suction side) and I hated the dang clamps! Plus, every once in a while a hose would just pop off and blow water everywhere!

I did what was suggested above with plugs so I didnt have to drain, but took it one step further and re-plumbed the whole thing with hard PVC and never had a leak or hose pop-off again. If you do this, make sure you install unions so you can easily remove everything to winterize.

I have had hoses on my pool since day one and have not had any major issues.

To prevent water from flowing from the skimmer and to the pump, I use one section of my vacuum hose and the adapter cone to prevent the water from leaving the pool. It looks like this:

IMG_5313.JPG

Here are the side and diagonal shots of the piece that is leaking.

What about a lazy noob alternative - is it possible to just put silicone sealant around the valve fitting? While it is leaking and that may disrupt the curing process for the sealant, it seems it could be a possibility... a hack at best. Has anyone tried this?

Attachments

• IMAG0121 copy.jpg
    IMAG0121 copy.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMAG0125 copy.jpg
    IMAG0125 copy.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 84
You need to cut that pipe and replace the fitting. If you added a union to the pipe, you could cut the pipe, add the union and a new adapter and then you can tighten the fitting at the pump and then close the union.

From personal experience you get about 9-10 years out of those flexible glued conections then the glue starts failing. I had several of those conections starting to fail and replumbed with ridgid pvc. Knock on wood but no leaks since.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shucks - that's a little more plumbing than I'm comfortable with doing myself. I've stuck to carpentry for most of my projects. This sounds like I may need to replace more than just a fitting.

if I were to hire someone to do this job - what would your expectations be for cost?

thanks for all of your help thus far.

Start simple if its just the one connection leaking take a few photos and measure the pipe (i assume its 1 1/2") and head to lowes home depot or your local hardware store and explain what your trying to do they are sure to have just what you need.

Update on this: was about to jump into this last night. Turns out, the skimmer<->pump hose and the pump<->filter hose have no valves on them. Need to go buy a rubber plug for the skimmer, which in conjunction with the closed filter valve, should help me isolate the problem to pull of the fitting and replace or re-teflon. Doing that tonight.

Thanks for your help thus far. Any tips, happy to hear them. I can use all the knowledge I can get at this point!

You are hard piped with NO valves?

I have hoses and I connect my 12 foot long return hose to my skimmer outlet when I want to isolate the pool from the pump.

You can see in this photo the silver hose going fromt he skimmer outlet to the return fitting. The white hose at the top is my vacuum hose (with adapter) that plugs the skimmer and prevents water from leaving the pool and the black hose on the ground is the suction hose to feeds the pump from the skimmer (but is not connected).

IMG_5292.JPG

I have regular hoses like yours, guy. Looks like pretty much same set up, but without the sweet DE filter.

Took a shot at this last night. Replaced the clear fitting with one from the pool store (home depot, lowe's, and local stores didn't have the 1.5" fitting!) which was slightly different. Didn't have hose barbs on the end.

Nevertheless, teflon taped the heck out of it, use channel locks to get that bad boy in, and clamped the hose to the new fitting with one of those small metal clamps w/ the flathead screw to tighten.

Began leaking immediately. Same rate, too. When pump was on, significant and steady dripping.

Backed off the fitting 1/2 turn and it dripped significantly less, although steady. Made the exec decision to leave the filter on for a couple of hours.

Magic happened. No dripping (just a bit of wetness that may drip once an hour). Completely slowed. Left it running overnight, this morning it was the same. Pressure gauge reading back to normal at 19-20.

I have no idea why the dripping was so significant at the start. I have no idea why it slowed. Anyone have a similar experience?

Did the threads leak or where the hose connects? I have heard its better to use a thread sealant on the larger fittings. I changed a fitting recently and I used the Rector Seal 5. It was soo much easier that Teflon tape. I then used it inside on a couple shower heads.

As to the DE filter, I love it, except when I have a swamp to clean. I have learned a lot over the years. I bought my pool from the LPS used as it was the demo pool setup at the store. I think I got lucky getting it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.