Culprit for burning eyes?

Feb 24, 2013
Yesterday I had a pool party and everyone was complaining of burning eyes. Here we're my results before the big swim:

TF-100
FC 5.0
C 0 (maybe .5 but I'd guess .25 or lower because test was ever so slightly pink, 1 drop cleared it.)
TC 5.0 (ish)
pH 7.2
TA 60
CH 470
CYA 45

I assumed it was just the pH but I meticulously measured to get 7.2 because the pool is me and it spikes up to 8.2 every two days. I was thinking it might also be the slightly high chlorine but since I had 5 kids and 8 adults swimming, I wanted to make sure there was enough to combat bather load and kids peeing and spitting in the pool. This morning I swam again and my eyes were burning like the dickens. Here we're today's results:

FC 2.5
CC .5 or less. Again it was barely pink.
TC 3
pH 7.6
TA 60
CH 470
CYA 45

The pH is ideal and the chlorine was lower so what gives? My pool is blue, sparkly, gorgeous, and clear. It looks amazing but it's frustrating to have burning eyes every swim. Watcha think?

Is it possible that the high CH could be to blame? It the TA of 60? I added 1 drop to yesterday and today's CC reading but it was ever so slightly pink and 1 drop made it clear again. I'm really reluctant to drain and refill for the high calcium...at least until the swimming season is over. The kids like to swim multiple times per day and I don't want my pump off for a day or two in this heat/full sun.

Dreampool13 said:
Is it possible that the high CH could be to blame? It the TA of 60? I added 1 drop to yesterday and today's CC reading but it was ever so slightly pink and 1 drop made it clear again. I'm really reluctant to drain and refill for the high calcium...at least until the swimming season is over. The kids like to swim multiple times per day and I don't want my pump off for a day or two in this heat/full sun.
Nobody complains about burning eyes in my pool, with CH about 900. I swim around underwater with my eyes open and no goggles (to admire the clarity) with no irritation at all.

I suspect either CC or sunscreen washing off into eyes. That stuff stings about as bad as mosquito repellent!

Eye irritation is usually CC or pH. Try the FC and CC test with 25mL ... if the CC is more than 1 drop (0.2) that is likely the issue.

Hey jblizzle, just curious on this more accurate test... I have had burning eye issues for a couple weeks and I'm trying to figure out why. Numbers are below, and everything seems fine, so I figured I'd try to see if there was a CC issue. This test is a little tough for me anyway, since color vision is not my strong suit, but will have my wife double check the colors for me tomorrow. Question is, do I do the FC/CC test as normal, just with 25 mL of pool water? i.e. 1 scoop of R-0870 powder, each 1 drop of R-0871 now equaling .1FC?

I did it that way, and after 5 drops of R-0003, it was still clear, so it doesn't appear to have any CC's. With the standard FC test, I got 3, and with the more accurate test I got 2.4, but CC still appears to be 0. I'll double check with another set of eyes tomorrow.

Anything else here raise a flag for burning eyes? pH can be brought down a bit, but I don't think that would be the issue.

Thanks, Jeff

FC 3 (2.4 with 25mL test)
CC 0
CH 300
TA 110
pH between 7.8 - 8.2
CYA 30

Why bump a 2 year old thread?

I meant the FAS-DPD with 25ml water so each drop is 0.2ppm. Sounds like you CC is not a problem.

High pH could be a problem. Sweat or sunscreen too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.