help...my intex pool leaks everywhere!

Jul 27, 2013
saluda, sc
I was just making a little head way with my green water and then the leaks started. The intake AND output hose connectors leak. The pump output connector leaks. The pump lid leaks...inf act I have to hold it with pliers and hit with a hammer to get it open and closed enough so it won't leak (for a little while). If I even look at it it will start leaking from the lid. Even the inflatable thingy at the top leaks and I have t keep blowing it up with air.

AS you can see I have added all kinds of kunk to try to seal them to no avail. I have unscrewed and screwed them back on numerous times. Please help so I can get back on to getting the water right - haven't been able to enjoy this pool all summer. Thanks!

[attachment=0:3hgk7dfh]pool3.jpg[/attachment:3hgk7dfh][attachment=1:3hgk7dfh]pool2.jpg[/attachment:3hgk7dfh][attachment=2:3hgk7dfh]pool1.jpg[/attachment:3hgk7dfh]

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 287
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 282
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 280
Something tells me that your missing the rubber gaskets. I've never heard of any intex pools leaking that much.

Are there any black rubber gaskets between your hose and pump connection? Is there a big black washer type gasket on your in and outlets?

I don't know...but the only thing I remember seeing are the small black rings. JUst went outside and took 2 more pics of where the leak on the output connector originates from. I'm pointing at it - the water is coming from that open area in the back of the valve.[attachment=1:154f19h9]etsy 308.jpg[/attachment:154f19h9][attachment=0:154f19h9]etsy 309.jpg[/attachment:154f19h9]

Attachments

• etsy 308.jpg
    etsy 308.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 279
  • etsy 309.jpg
    etsy 309.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 275
If you take the hose off the plunger valve there should be a black o-ring gasket. Have you noticed if that is missing or not? Sounds like its either missing or worn out. If its still on there try putting some Vaseline on it, that may help.
Just retread your last post and it sounds like you have the black o-ring, it must be worn out.

I don't think it would help.

When you connected the hose to the plunger valve did you have to push on it with a bit of force to get it over the black ring? I ask because with both my new and previous intex pools it took some force to get them to slide over the black ring, which it should because that's your seal.
The Vaseline will make it slide easier too so it would be pointless to check after applying it.

Is this a new pool or something used? Anyway you could post a pic of the plunger valve without the hose hooked up?

This is an old/new pool - I purchased it a few years ago but only put it up last year...got aggravated with it and so this summer I'm really tryin' to get it right. Didn't have the leakage problems last year - just couldn't get the water right.

But I do remember that I placed the o-rings on the thread part - not the smooth part that the hose connects to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From the look of the pictures you have posted I honestly dont believe there is anything you can do except order a set of new valves or find some o-rings that will fit and start over.

My guess is the O-Ring on the intake portion of the valve has hardened and cracked. This is an older valve that was kept in storage and the ring cracked. You have to look close but there are probably several cracks on the rings you have.

DSCN3113800x600800x600_zpsd0da762d.jpg
[/URL]

The hole you are pointing at is actually just a gap in the threads....these threads are not even molded into the valve. they just clip on. You can see in the next pictures that you can just move them around. The only purpose they serve is to hold the hose in place. Hand tight is plenty. There is no need to tighten them any more because the seal is at the O-Ring.

On the output portion of the valve there must be a step washer. It fits in the groove im showing in the next picture and flat against the screw on part of the inlet. Hand tighten only. Any more and you will pinch the washer and make it leak

DSCN3117800x600_zpsde4ac2a7.jpg
[/URL]

I don't know Intex fittings but Vaseline is not the correct o-ring lube. It can ruin the o-rings and plastic you need to use a silicone, pool lube. Get it any POOL STORE. The stuff at the hardware store may be the wrong stuff.

techguy said:
I don't know Intex fittings but Vaseline is not the correct o-ring lube. It can ruin the o-rings and plastic you need to use a silicone, pool lube. Get it any POOL STORE. The stuff at the hardware store may be the wrong stuff.

Good to know, I was told to use the Vaseline on my o-rings a year or 2 ago on these forums. I got to say it worked and hasn't ruined anything, but I guess I was mislead by someone on here. Plus this seaon we bought a new intex and I haven't put any Vaseline on it.

I believe I originally wound up using Vaseline on the leaf basket o-ring because it was leaking and that's what was suggested here :hammer: .

Well, the intex manual also says to use petroleum jelly on the gaskets and o-rings, so it probably works for a while, but it will degrade the seals over time. (though probably not within the intex warranty period) If you want them to last a very long time, then a silicon based lubricant is better.

you are missing the rubber O ring gaskets. and it will leak like crazy without them. also, you really need to get the carlon adapters and hardplumb with ball valves. those intex plunger valves suck in more ways than i can describe in one post. either way, you have to have the O rings. go to the hardware store with your plunger valve and find some that fit. by a few extras because as you now know, they are easy to lose!

ok, output valve did not have an o-ring so put one on - still leaked - add vaseline and seemed to control THAT leak somewhat but the opening I showed on my second post still fills up with water.

Now I have noticed there is a pin hole size leak in the hose itself about 2 inches below the output valve. Can someone please direct me to some fittings that I don't spend all summer fixing leaks? NOTE: the hoses and fittings do have a few years on them. Did not put the pool up for about 2 years after receiving it and some of these pieces were exposed to the elements before the pool was put up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.