Help! Pool wont clear up!

Jul 28, 2013
Hello everyone!

I recently went on vacation for a couple weeks and came back to a green swamp. Before I left, I had been using chlorine and pristine blue from the pool store. After searching for a better alternative, I came accross this site and learned as much as I could.

I started SLAMing my pool about a week ago, and after a few days and A LOT of bleach, I was able to get the pool to a beautiful blue, but still cloudy.

The problem is, that for the last 3 or 4 days, the pool seems that it has not cleared any. I have been checking each day and keeping the FC at shock level, but it doesn't seem to be getting any clearer. How long should this process take?

I have an 11,700 gallon round pool with a cartridge filter.

I have been keeping an eye on the pressure on my filter and it hasn't increased any. Could something be wrong with my filter? It seems to be intact except for a little of the rubber on top of the filter.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Just a few questions to start: What are you using to test your FC and what are you using to chlorinate? Could you post a full set of test results so we can see what you are working with?

I do see you say you are testing and chlorinating once a day, correct? That could be part of your problem, a swamp will consume all of your FC instantly so you are left with zero for the rest of the day which gives it plenty of time to recover. That's why it's Shock Level and Maintain.

I am using a Leslie FAS-DPD test kit as recommended by this site. I am using bleach to chlorinate the pool and I have stopped using the Pristine blue.

Before I started SLAMing, my CYA was 0, I added enough to bring the CYA up to 30, and then started shocking. I have been following the SLAMing instructions to the letter.

Brought my PH down to 7.2 (it was above 8 before starting the process)

For the first few days, I was testing and chlorinating the water multiple times per day, but for the last 3 days, I have been checking once per day, because the FC does not drop as much anymore and it hasn't been below 7 ppm since I began the process. Each time i test it, I add enough chlorine to bring it up to 13 ppm or a little higher. I tested the CC yesterday and got a reading of 1 ppm.

You simply aren't done yet. The CC test of 1 ppm is an indicator.

Keep your Chlorine up like you have been doing and keep the faith.

At this common point in the SLAM, everyone needs a big dose of POP (pool owner patience)

Are you backwashing/cleaning and brushing?

Ok thanks for the help everyone! Ill keep up the SLAMing and try to patch up that filter.

Any suggestions on the best way to do that?

And yes I have been brushing every day. I have cleaned the filter once since I started, but even after running it for a few days straight, the pressure doesn't seem to be getting any higher... Should I clean it anyway?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.