My wife will never go in this pool again.....

nyy845

Jul 7, 2012
New Fairfield CT
I'll preface by saying she actually removes frogs and mice from the pool regularly, but this.....

IMG_0373_zps71c91b66.jpg

Yeah, a skunk. I was pretty surprised when I saw it.

My plan is to get the pool to shock level for a day or two which I think will be sufficient but beyond that there is nothing else I should be doing right?

Do you have one of our recommended test kits ? You'll need one to maintain shock level to kill everything off.

Read the SLAM process in pool school. I would be SLAMING too if that was found I'm my pool. Just to be on the safe side. IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thanks for the responses; I do have a good test kit and the skunk was intact and looks like it drowned.

I'll test the water and post results. But generally our target chlorine levels are in range (4-8) for our CYA level (50), when I get lazy they do dip lower than 4 occasionally but no algae blooms or anything like that this year.

Current Pool Readings after removing skunk
FC: 4ppm
CC: 0.5ppm
CYA: 40-50

I fully intend on bringing the pool to shock levels; I have kids and would much rather play it safe. I just wanted to make sure I shouldn't be doing anything else.

Thanks again

yup, if it was my pool, id toss that thing out quick, get that pump going 24/7 and SLAM it for a couple of days. i would probably conveniently forget to tell the wife about the skunk... :wink: much like I conveniently forgot to tell mine about that snake that came up into the drain line in her washing machine that time and clogged it... she thinks it was a sock..... she'd never go near that sucker again if she knew that had happened and we cant have that!!! :mrgreen:

Was it scratching the corner tiles of your liner? They look like they are less blue than on the side. Was the liner pulled out of track or did the skunk do that too?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Casey said:
Was it scratching the corner tiles of your liner? They look like they are less blue than on the side. Was the liner pulled out of track or did the skunk do that too?

I don't think he was asking about his liner. He was more concerned about the skunk. We've had bats before. I just brought it to a high shock level and let it stay a few days. Unfortunate for that to happen in the middle of prime swim time.

The liner was in it's current state since we bought the house almost 2 yrs ago.

Just to give an idea of the condition of the pool; we've been here for almost 2yrs and last month was the first time we've been in the pool. I don't know if we would be in it yet without this forum!!

After I do the ascorbic acid treatment, I'll be searching how to put the liner back on that corner!

aasbury said:
Casey said:

I don't think he was asking about his liner. He was more concerned about the skunk. We've had bats before. I just brought it to a high shock level and let it stay a few days. Unfortunate for that to happen in the middle of prime swim time.

I know he wasn't asking. I was asking. It just looked like the critter may have scratched it trying to get out. It's dead now so it doesn't even matter and he got his answer in the first 2 post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.