Pool Renovation, Need equipment advice...

Jul 28, 2013
AZ
Pool Size
Going through a pool renovation and need advice on equipment.

Pool is 16x32 inground, 3.5-8ft depth, two returns, two skimmers, 1.5in plumbing

Previously had one return, one skimmer.

Current equipment:

Filter: Pentair Nautilus DE Filter FNS36
Pump: Sta-rite Dyna-Glas 1HP

New equipment:

PlPlus Salt System
Aqua Comfort Heat Pump
Pentair Globrite LEDs

What I am currently looking at for Filters/Pumps:

Pentair FNS Plus 60
Pentair Intelliflow VS 011018

Would like to get a variable speed pump and stay with a DE Filter. Had good luck with current equipment so I'd like to stay with Pentair though would consider Hayward as well.

Is going with the larger filter and the stronger pump going to be an issue? Any other particular recommendations?
Any benefits with Hayward equipment since I'm getting a PLPlus Salt System?

Any insight/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

A variable speed pump only makes financial sense when your electric rates are $0.20/kWh or higher.

I would recommend an even larger filter, though that one will work fine. A larger filter can go longer between backwashing/cleaning and is slightly more efficient.

The IntelliFlo is variable speed, and can be setup to never go above your choice of peak speeds. As long as you setup a reasonable max speed it will be fine with that pool.

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

A variable speed pump only makes financial sense when your electric rates are $0.20/kWh or higher.

I would recommend an even larger filter, though that one will work fine. A larger filter can go longer between backwashing/cleaning and is slightly more efficient.

The IntelliFlo is variable speed, and can be setup to never go above your choice of peak speeds. As long as you setup a reasonable max speed it will be fine with that pool.

Thanks Jason! My electric has averaged around $.08/kWh for the last year. Peaked around $.10/kWh. Based on that I know it will take longer to recoup the initial investment, but there are other benefits to VS that would be nice (sound levels, built-in timers, etc).

With regards to the filter, the 60 is the largest offered in the FNS Plus line by Pentair. To go larger, I'd have to go with a cartridge style DE filter. Is the Pentair Quad DE line of filters good? Any advantages/disadvantages to cartridge style? They have the Quad DE 100 which would be almost 3 times the area of my current equipment.

As a follow-up to this, I ended up going with all Pentair equipment due to the warranty and preference for the brand. I went with the following:

Pentair FNSPlus 60 DE Filter
Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed (011018)
Pentair EasyTouch 4 with IC40 SCG
Pentair Interface Kit (for control from Android phone)
Pentair Globrite LEDs

The only piece of equipment not Pentair is the heater which is an Aquacomfort AC1100 Heat Pump.

While I am already far through the renovation, I'll post a thread soon in the Under Construction section with some pics. Hoping for pool start-up by next Thursday/Friday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.