Greatly reduced %output setting - saving cell life

vanessadickson

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2012
Paris, Kentucky
Just wanted to share a little success I had with my SWG over the last few weeks. I had been running my SWG at 80% 24/7 just to hold 3-5ppm free chlorine. (no combined chlorine).

I had let my CYA get down to 40, and my salt get down to 2700 (recommendations were about 60 and 3200, respectively).

Then my inrush delimiter went out, and I replaced it, got my CYA up to 65, and salt up to 3200.

With those 3 changes, I have been gradually reducing my %output settings down where I am now at 25% and holding chlorine at 8-9! Dont know which of the three changes gave me this ability to make less use of the salt cell, but sure will save on my salt cells life! :party:

I wondered about that Jason, it says 70-80 on the calculator itself, yes, but when you click the CYA link look what it says......"swg ... between 60-80". Kinda internally inconsistent, but I decided to stay a bit on the low end for now since I have no problems. Do you think I should tweek up to 70?

Here's the link---

"Return to The Pool Calculator.

CYA - Cyanuric Acid

Cyanuric acid, often called stabilizer or sometimes conditioner, both protects FC from sunlight and lowers the effective strength of the FC. The higher your CYA level, the more FC you need to get the same effect. It is important to know your CYA level so you can figure out what FC level to aim for. If you don't have a SWG or problems from extremely high amounts of sunlight, CYA is typically kept between 30 and 50. If you have a SWG or very high levels of direct sunlight, CYA is typically kept between 60 and 80. If you are using an ORP controller, keep CYA below 50."

Bringing CYA up to 70-80 will allow you to lower the percentage setting further, increase cell life, reduce PH drift, etc. It will also allow CYA to still be reasonable towards the end of the season (CYA drifts down slowly over time).

The Pool Calculator has not been updated in years and years and is no longer in line with our most recent recommendations.

Of course, there is no real need to micro-manage. 65 is quite close and you don't need to worry about CYA till later (when it comes down) unless you want too.

Well as usual Jason, you were so right---tweeked up to 75 CYA and need only be at 10-15% setting (depending on sun) to hold chlorine over 6.

Advice here never off base. Thanks guys!! Having s crystal pool with very little work all summer is awesome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.