Take down or leave up?

itodd

Jul 15, 2013
Gastonia, NC
I know I'm a few months early with this question but I'm wanting to do some landscaping around my pool and the type of landscaping is going to be determine by whether I take the pool down for the fall/winter or leave it up.

Everyone can see below what type of pool I have. I live right outside of Charlotte, NC.

Is taking down an Intex Ultra Frame Pool a necessity or option?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

THanks

Just make sure you have a good cover that will last. You might also look at ways of making a "tent" out of it. Some way to make a high peak in the middle so rain will run off and not fill it up.

I would like to leave mine up. But a couple things are still nagging at me about this.

I need re-level some areas, reset some legs.

Intex recommends that anywhere that will experience below freezing temps to NOT leave their PVC pool up
http://faq.intexstore.com/faqsup/pub/FaqSupportServlet?action=openFaq&qid=293

A cold brittle liner just might be susceptible to cracking. Not worth the chance to me.

So I'm thinking, for me, that it has to come down this fall.

Leaving mine up, but don't know why. It seems that my liner was seriously defective. It started when I saw a black buildup on the floor and scrubbed it. Well that must been some patch or something, since I saw the next day a hole so big I could have put my fist through. Then after that I kept getting little pin holes. I used mason sand, a tarp, and gorilla padding to protect the liner. So I probably will have to buy another liner next year anyways.

I have an 18x52 pro series, Intex SWG and Intex .5 hp sand pump/filter. and I'm leaving mine up. I closed today (a bit early but I don't think I will have the time before it's too late).

Last year we took ours down and it was a complete muddy mess and not to mention it wasn't stored properly and somehow we ended up with a damaged pool (RIP Pollio I).

Here is what we did:
Used Sink and Sweep to get all the floating debris
Balanced
Cleaned the top rails and inside just above the water line to ensure it was all clean
Vaccumed
Disconnected the SWG and the Pump, cleaned both very well and lubed all the O rings (I left the actual sand filter outside to be covered after back washing and draining)
Drained the pool to below the skimmer.
We put in an air pillow and covered with a winter cover.

I did NOT add any special winter chemicals. I'm new at this but I get mixed responses from people as to if I should have or not. I live in GA so I might see some ice, but there is no plumbing to worry about.

What do you guys think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.