Sizing a cartridge filter

Jul 27, 2013
Did some reading here and then did some math. Hopefully I have enough info to size a cartridge filter.

The pool:
14x28 foot 6 foot at deep end. Approx 12,000 gals.

I skimmer
2 main drains (split drains)
Avg head is 55ft
Pump 1hp pentair superflo
all lines are 2 inch
Aqua rite salt-chlorine system

Based on pentairs pump curves I have 55 gpm flow

Found a few references here saying size for at least 20% more than pump flow and at least 2x turn over in 8 hours

Using those baselines I would need 66 gpm filter capacity and 24,000 turn over in 8 hours

Looking at Pentair's website:
A Clean and Clear CC75 would meet minimum requirements (75 gal per minutes 75 sqft filter)
A CC100 would be a bit better
A CC150 better yet

All are designed to handle more flow than the pump will deliver (26,400 gal in 8 hours)

In the clean and clear PLUS line the smallest (CCP 240) is a 90 gpm

I understand more filter is better but at some point there must be a point of diminishing return.

BTW I'm not committed to pentair just looked there to get an idea.

SO the eternal question how many sqft of filter area?

Also anyone know if these filters will take 2 inch lines

Welcome to TFP!

Get the largest filter you have room for and can afford. Larger filters can go longer between cleanings and are slightly more energy efficient. You can't really go too large with a cartridge filter, though a 500 sqft filter would probably be overkill for that pool. I would go for something in the 300s for that pool, though the smallest one will work, and the mid-sized ones will work just fine.

All of those filters are fine with 2" plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.