Salt too high

uzun

May 30, 2013
San Diego, CA
I noticed my salt water generator would occasionally flash green indicating a high salt level. Ideal salt for this Pentair model is 3400ppm, and it indicates flashing green means over 4500ppm. I think the very high pool temps, like 90 plus degrees, make it flash more readily. I bought a taylor test kit for salt and it indicates 4200ppm, I did the test 3 times and each time it would suddenly change from yellowish to brownish red in a single drop at 21, meaning 4200 ppm.

When I take the pool water in to be tested at Leslie's who has some sort of electronic device with a needle, it always comes up 3400-3500. I wonder if the flashing green LED on the Pentair SWG and the Taylor test don't read high when water temps are over 90.

DO I have to worry about a 4200 ppm salt reading? According to the Pentair manual it will still make chlorine but high salt levels can corrode equipment.

-Roger

I would try to lower your salt level to below 4000 ppm . High salt levels can corrode your pool equipment over time . High salt levels may damage your SWG as well

If the SWG thinks it's high and your Taylor test thinks it's high, I would take those results 10 times before I trusted the Pool Store test......they are off much too often to put any faith in them. Electronic testing has no advantage and is, in fact, less reliable.

Why do you disbelieve the Taylor test when it is being reinforced with your SWG?

Maybe the pool store electronic needle thing isn't accurate. I was just trusting it because it was electronic and I figured they would have something accurate. I drained some water today and added fresh, it's still reading 4200 so I think I have to drain a lot more next time. I guess i should trust the Taylor salt test. It reads 4200 which isn't terribly high. It's probably more accurate than the flashing green light thing in the Pentair SWG.

This is probably due to all the Liquid Chlorine I added when I shocked it a couple of months back. I had to add tons to keep it around 30 for a few days. Then I mistakenly thought I needed to shock it again a few weeks ago and added another 2 gallons.

It currently holds chlorine overnight fine, but the salt level is 4200 it looks like. I think it was about 3500 or so before I added the MANY MANY gallons of liquid chlorine over the past couple of months.

-Roger

uzun said:
I think it was about 3500 or so before I added the MANY MANY gallons of liquid chlorine over the past couple of months.
Did you add 50 gallons of chlorine? That's about how much it would take to raise the salt 700 ppm.

Either way your test came up with the exact same result 3 times in a row and your SWG agrees, don't disbelieve it because it seems unlikely. Just about 20% water change to get it back in line, not too bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.