Pool still green!

Hey there everyone. I'm new to the forum but have used it many times in the past for information, decided to make an account finally. I have an above-ground Intex 18' x 52" pool with a 2650GPH Sand Filter. It started getting cloudy like 4 days ago, and 2 days ago we went outside and it was completely green. We shocked it yesterday, checked it today. Still green. Chlorine was at 5PPM and today we got some Algaecide too. Put that in, brushed alot, then shocked again later, and then a while after shocking we added clarifier to help the sand filter out. We also have cellulose fiber if we need to use that to help filter more. It's still green now, and should I do anything else or just run the pump and check it again tomorrow? Thanks for your guys help! :cheers:

FAC: 5ppm
TAC: 5ppm
CH: 110 ppm
CYA: 60 ppm
TA: 80 ppm
pH: 7.5
TDS: 200
0 Phosphates

This test was done this morning before adding algaecide and shocking again...

Hi Neighbor ~ I am in PA too.

If you have used the board a lot for information I am sure you know you will be asked to post a full set of numbers from one of the two test kits required for accurate results...

You're also probably aware of the following:
Shocking is a process and not a 1 time deal. It is now called SLAM
To properly shock/ SLAM a pool you follow a procedure based on your CYA
Procedure can be found here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool
Pass all 3 criteria and you are done with the SLAM (formerly referred to as shocking your pool)
Also it is discussed algaecides are not required, necessary or promoted on these boards. Same can be said for Clarifyer.

If you truly want the pool clear, healthy and sparkling read Pool School, order a test kit and follow procedure.
If you keep dumping items in your pool blindly it is going to cost you an arm and a leg, get your water in even a bigger mess and you are going to be frustrated.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Your on the right track but not using nearly enough chlorine.

Save your money on the cellulose and agaecides.....you don't need them.

You need to SLAM the pool. The article describing that process is up in Pool School.

Before you can do it effectively, you need to help us by posting a complete set of test results...can you do that?

You are sure to have several more questions so post back and we'll all help.

So why not ? Because they are usually wrong. The CYA level is one they really miss. They like to sell you chem's that you don't need.

Get you own kit and those results will be more accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gman200108 said:
Got the test done at Leslies, getting my own kit soon. They do it for free there so why not :p
Not to single out Leslie's, but most all pool store testing is inconsistent and inaccurate. Here's a good example: Inconsistency in readings.

Cleaning up problems caused by managing a pool based on faulty test results will greatly exceed the cost of a good test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.