LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Yesterday, I overflowed the pool with water from the hose for at least 8 hours, discovering it last night. :hammer:
Had water billowing over the above ground pool walls and skimmer opening, flooding the back yard (but not the basement). :drown:
I emptied many, many gallons of water to get the water back down to the recommended skimmer level. :whip:
I then, not thinking very clearly, :scratch: poured in 8-10 cups of dichlor to get FC and CYA levels up quickly and then tested the water this afternoon. No, I did NOT test the water before adding the dichlor last night. :hammer:
This afternoon, the test results are:
pH: 7.6
FC: 40 (yes, it took 80 drops for the water to become clear)
CC: 0
TA: 90
CYA: 60
Borates: 30
Salts: 950

I would like to increase the Borates to pre-flood reading of 40, and increase salt levels to 2000.

Question: if I understand correctly that CYA takes ~ 1 week before the levels shown are accurate, do you think the CYA levels will register even higher than 60 by next week? I'm wanting to add the salts but not if I have to dump more water out of the pool. I will be out of town all next week but hubby will be home and maybe using the pool. Hopefully the FC levels will drop, or maybe if CYA goes up, the FC levels will be good. :mrgreen: At least mustard algae does not have a chance.

How long does it usually take FC levels to drop that far? Pool does get full sun all day, but in Michigan that's not saying much. :-D

Thanks TFP

http://www.poolcalculator.com/

At the bottom of the calculator you can plug in your information to see what it does to your water. You'll get an approximate because you are only able to input ounces (as far as I can tell) and as I am sure you know a cup is a measure of volume but a dry ounce is measured by weight.

Your FC will drop in time with help of the sun and organics in the pool. I don't know how much you lose daily in your area based on your CYA, but there will be more CYA in there as a result of your cups add and it will shield the FC a bit more. If you know what you typically lose in a day ~ you'll be able to ballpark the losses from that figure.

I don't know anything about Borates or Salt as I don't use those in my water ~ I am sure someone more in the know will see your post soon and guide you.

You only need to wait a week on CYA after adding granular CYA. When CYA goes down due to water replacement the reading will be correct right away.

You should lose at least 25% of your FC level each sunny day, probably more. The rate depends on a lot of factors, so that is just a rough approximation.

Ok when I read that FC was 40 I totally cracked up. My husband, even after explaining how high FC 40 was, looked at me like I was crazy. Everything will be fine in a few days if you add chemicals according to the pool calculator. And if there was even a single cell of algae thinking of growing, it is surely dead by now. ;)

As a follow up from last week:
I was out of town all week, the pool was unused and uncovered, some sun, some rain.
Test results this afternoon:
pH 7.6
FC 14.5
CC 0
TA 80
CYA 50
FC still high even after a week, but we do run the pump 24/7. CYA turned out not to be as bad/high as I thought. :party:
Lesson learned. :oops:

Thanks for everyone's comments. :lovetfp:

Jeetyet, we add salt because it makes the water feel nicer, even though we don't have problems. No SWG, just liquid bleach/chlorine and dichlor/trichlor when going on vacation or having a brain lapse. :hammer:
Thanks Dave. Will do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.