help neede

Looks like some water replacement is in need to lower CYA. No FC is not good also. Algae bloom is just waiting. You need chlorine as I assume you know.

Read the SLAM process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Classic symptoms of Trichlor tab usage (or frog system)....and dichlor shock? They both are acidic and lower TA...as well as raise CYA. Need to do a drain and refill....or multiple partial drains and refills....Then recheck the ALK...adjust with baking soda if needed to at least 80. Go higher if they plan to keep on using tabs, and educate them on the importance of testing their water regularly. Also do they have a heater, do they use copper algaecide, or the frog system?

Given a CYA of 200 with no FC, if the water is not yet green and/or cloudy, it soon will be. A drain & refill of about 75% is needed to get the CYA down to a preferred range. After the drain & refill, retest and re-balance the water paying primary attention to FC and pH. You may also need to SLAM.

I would test TA and the other parameters (CYA, CH) so you can note them. If the pH stays relatively stable, I would not fret over the TA. TA is a measure of the water's ability to buffer pH change. It is a fine-tuning type of adjustment.

poolmama67 said:
The PH is really low and causing rashes (or what I think are burns) to the swimmers
Is she doing anything at all about this? Extremely low pH could be helping keep the algae at bay but then people are essentially swimming in vinegar, with the above result. No point working on the pH or TA yet though since she needs to drain well over half of her water to get back to a reasonable CYA level.

I do hope she listens to you, sounds like someone needs to learn about etiquette. Pretty sure somewhere in Emily Post it says that house guests should not receive rashes from the pool :?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
poolmama67 said:
I tested my friend's water today with my Taylor2006 kit. The sample turn red rather than green for the TA level and cya is about 200. No FC at all.
An initial red in the TA test means not only that the TA is zero (or negative), but that the pH is 4.5 or lower. Not only is some water replacement needed to reduce the CYA level, but the pH needs to be raised right away to prevent further damage of pool surfaces and equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.