Pump won't retain prime while running

May 17, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Hi all,
I noticed this morning my pump dedicated to my in-floor system had lost its prime. I have done as much troubleshooting as possible but can't figure it out. It doesn't seem to be that it can't get prime, but that as soon as it does it loses it again and then cycles this way over and over again every 2 minutes or so. I don't think it a leak on the suction side because of the fact that it does catch prime each time. I have installed a new pump basket o-ring, as well as a new impeller diffuser o-ring.

Here's a brief video showing how it catches prime then immediately loses it.

Any ideas????

[youtube:7y9yu0fx]bdHxRJTxsRs[/youtube:7y9yu0fx]

A long shot, but worth asking...

Are you using a skimmer sock? I use these during the spring to trap small pollen and other similar debris. After running pump for about 2-3 hours, so much stuff accumulates on the socks that I either need to to clean them or put new ones on. Otherwise my pump experiences the same water starvation as shown in your video.

It does appear you have a leak somewhere. Check the pump lid and o-ring make sure they are on tight and the seating area is free from debris. Check the pump plugs make sure they are in tight....then if it is still loosing prime, take a bucket full of water and with the pump running slowly go over all exposed areas (the plumbing ahead of the pump, any unions or ball valves, and then the wet end (lid, body, etc....there might be a crack). Watch for the pump to gain and keep prime while doing this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.