Muriatic acid vs PH Minus

BIC

Jul 7, 2007
Hi there,

This is my second summer with my pool: above ground 24 feet with SWG (AquaTrol).

I nerver had to add anything so far (last year and this year) to lower my PH, but I may need to do it soon. M'y PH is trying to reach 7.8 :wink:

I have read here many time that people put muriatic acid to lower their PH. I don't know nothing about muriatic acid, I had to Google it to know what it is. I have never seen it on the shelve at the pool store neither (maybe they have it, I have never looked for it, I will check next time).

So, in case I need to lower my PH I bought some PH Minus (powder), does it do the same thing than the muriatic acid everybody is talking about :wink: Is adding PH Minus as god as muriatic acid ?

BIC

BIC said:
Hi there,

This is my second summer with my pool: above ground 24 feet with SWG (AquaTrol).

I nerver had to add anything so far (last year and this year) to lower my PH, but I may need to do it soon. M'y PH is trying to reach 7.8 :wink:

I have read here many time that people put muriatic acid to lower their PH. I don't know nothing about muriatic acid, I had to Google it to know what it is. I have never seen it on the shelve at the pool store neither.

So, in case I need to lower my PH I bought some PH Minus (powder), does it do the same thing than the muriatic acid everybody is talking about :wink: Is adding PH Minus as god as muriatic acid ?

BIC

Probably just more expensive. I'm pretty sure it does the same thing.

You can find Muratic Acid at the hardware store. But it's probably too late, most pool stores won't let you return chemicals.

Muriatic acid is less expensive than PH Minus/dry acid. Also, it doesn't add anything you don't want in the pool. Muriatic acid can be annoying to handle though, watch out for the fumes - stay up wind.

Thanks guys for the info. I will take a look at what Goldline (AquaTrol) says about lowering PH with their SWG.

I will also take a look at muriactic acid next time I go to the stores.

BIC

My local pool store keeps it in the back. If you didn't know to ask for it, you wouldn't know they carried it. The local Home depot only sells the half-strength variety, (It's pink.) and I like to support the local store when I can. And do keep the container at arm's length when pouring. Way harsh.

In the manual for the aquatrol is says to use muriatic acid to lower the PH. I bough it at Lowes. For some reason the Home Depot by my house does nott carry it. Also a lot of smaller hardware stores carry it like ACE and ACO.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.