Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic acid vs PH Minus

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic acid vs PH Minus

Hi there,

This is my second summer with my pool: above ground 24 feet with SWG (AquaTrol).

I nerver had to add anything so far (last year and this year) to lower my PH, but I may need to do it soon. M'y PH is trying to reach 7.8

I have read here many time that people put muriatic acid to lower their PH. I don't know nothing about muriatic acid, I had to Google it to know what it is. I have never seen it on the shelve at the pool store neither (maybe they have it, I have never looked for it, I will check next time).

So, in case I need to lower my PH I bought some PH Minus (powder), does it do the same thing than the muriatic acid everybody is talking about Is adding PH Minus as god as muriatic acid ?

BIC
    Don
    SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intelliflow pump
    Pentair SWG
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic acid vs PH Minus

Quote Originally Posted by BIC
    Hi there,

This is my second summer with my pool: above ground 24 feet with SWG (AquaTrol).

I nerver had to add anything so far (last year and this year) to lower my PH, but I may need to do it soon. M'y PH is trying to reach 7.8

I have read here many time that people put muriatic acid to lower their PH. I don't know nothing about muriatic acid, I had to Google it to know what it is. I have never seen it on the shelve at the pool store neither.

So, in case I need to lower my PH I bought some PH Minus (powder), does it do the same thing than the muriatic acid everybody is talking about Is adding PH Minus as god as muriatic acid ?

BIC
    Probably just more expensive. I'm pretty sure it does the same thing.

You can find Muratic Acid at the hardware store. But it's probably too late, most pool stores won't let you return chemicals.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Muriatic acid is less expensive than PH Minus/dry acid. Also, it doesn't add anything you don't want in the pool. Muriatic acid can be annoying to handle though, watch out for the fumes - stay up wind.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Some SWG manufacturers recommend using muratic acid instead of sodium bisulfate (pH minus). I forgot the reason.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ktdave
    Some SWG manufacturers recommend using muratic acid instead of sodium bisulfate (pH minus). I forgot the reason.
    Some cell plates can be damaged by sulfates created by the use of dry acid (sodium bisulfate).

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys for the info. I will take a look at what Goldline (AquaTrol) says about lowering PH with their SWG.

I will also take a look at muriactic acid next time I go to the stores.

BIC
    Don
    SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intelliflow pump
    Pentair SWG
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing

7. Back To Top    #7

My local pool store keeps it in the back. If you didn't know to ask for it, you wouldn't know they carried it. The local Home depot only sells the half-strength variety, (It's pink.) and I like to support the local store when I can. And do keep the container at arm's length when pouring. Way harsh.
    20K inground gunite w/ Aqua Logic automation and chlorination Sta-Rite 400 K natural gas heater and cartridge filter 2 HP pump 1.5 HP spa bubbler for spillover spa 1 HP dedicated Letro Legend cleaner
    H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown

8. Back To Top    #8

In the manual for the aquatrol is says to use muriatic acid to lower the PH. I bough it at Lowes. For some reason the Home Depot by my house does nott carry it. Also a lot of smaller hardware stores carry it like ACE and ACO.
    Patriot Arcadia 15' round 52". Pentair Clean and Clear 100 sqft Cartridge filter, 1HP Optiflow pump, Goldline Aquatrol SWG. 2 - 4'x20' solar panels roof mounted. All rigid PVC plumbing. Resin Solar reel with 8mil Thermo-tex solar cover. 14 x 12 deck.

Ovation 15'x24'x52'' AG. Pentair System 3 150 SQ foot cartridge filter, 1 1/2 HP pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

In big box stores and hardware stores it is often near the paint or plaster

10. Back To Top    #10

Ace hardware has the best prices I have found at 5.99 or closer to 5 if you purchase 4 and ask for the case price. They carry the 31.5% strength.

11. Back To Top    #11

We usually carry ~53g drums of 33.3% in stock, just in case anyone wants one