water balance and TA/PH questions

jp4120

May 11, 2012
Norristown, PA
today's test results
FC=2.5, CC=0, PH=7.8, TA=70, CH=240, CYA=35, water temp 78
water balance is +.15

so all is good....but since my TA is below normal recommended range of 80-100, should I increase TA or just leave it be? I did add some muriatic acid yesterday since the ph was pushing 8.0 and I guess that lowered the TA too.
I am thinking just do nothing while water balance is in range?

also another question
when I do start raising the TA...I usually use baking soda......but that raises the PH.....then if I use muriatic to lower the PH...that lowers the TA....is there a better way?

thanks.

Total alkalinity indicates the water's ability to buffer pH changes. If the pH is relatively stable, I would not fiddle with TA just to reach a target number. Your pool's pH is on the high end of the recommended range and will need to be lowered if it gets any higher. Muriatic Acid will lower both pH and TA as you have correctly surmised. If TA does get too low (say below 60) it can be increased with baking soda.
...I usually use baking soda......but that raises the PH...
Actually, baking soda has virtually no effect on pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.