High Chlorine Level

tc - 15-17ppm
cya - 40-50ppm

this is prob inline with shock levels per the chart. is there anything I can do in the morning (i.e. 10am) with chemicals to lower tc by 1-2pm?

Or should I just start dumping water and refilling?

Or do you think I am ok?

I turned the swg off and took the pool cover off. Thoughts?

What is your FC and what is your CC? If you have CC>0.5 ppm it can be irritating to swimmers. Per the chlorine/cya chart at 40 ppm cya the FC shock level is 16 ppm, so if you are below that you are fine.

Better to have a little much than too little. How are you testing? That TC range is not what i would expect if using one if the recommended test kits. What does the water look like?

I think you are confusing the TC (total chlorine) with FC (free chlorine) and FC with CC (combined chlorine). TC=FC+CC

FC is what the first part of fas-dpd chlorine tests. Assuming you actually meant FC, why such a big range (15-17)?

Ah, you mean FC is 15ish and the CC is less than .5 You could do the OCLT tonight and that could be passing all the criteria to stop SLAMing.

You seem to be under the shock level, so you will be fine. Have fun and let them be impressed with the water quality. No one will even know the FC is high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The amount of powder does not really matter, as long as you use enough. If you add the drops too fast, they could be smaller and give different readings.

Relax and have fun. I can almost guarantee no one will comment thinking the chlorine is high.

Did you test the pH? (Even though it is inaccurate when FC greater than 10ppm)

How does your water look?

If FC is still 16 tomorrow morning, you should be good to go for swimming since 16 is the SLAM level for cya of 40 ppm according to the chlorine/cya chart. If it drops much (more than 1 ppm), then you have something growing in your pool.

horseradish1 said:
Assuming it is 16-17, still ok?
Yes. With that high of a bather load, the FC will drop far enough below shock level that you will be fine for the party. Bring it back up in the evening to run an OCLT tomorrow night so you can verify the SLAM process is complete.

Make sure that before your guests get in the pool, if anyone feels the need to slather on the sunscreen, they do it at least 20-30 min prior to jumping in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.