Imminent install. How the heck?!..

Jul 26, 2013
NH
Hi, folks. First time poster and soon to be new pool owner.

My question is regarding skimmer installation and pool filling. First off, the pool is being professionally installed. From what I understand, after the liner is installed, the pool must be filled approx halfway BEFORE the skimmer, etc, is cut in. I plan on having my water delivered. How the heck is this done? Am I supposed to have the pool install crew here at the same time the water truck arrives? Then have the water dude fill the pool halfway, stop and wait for the pool installer to cut the fixtures in, then continue filling when he's done?

I highly doubt the water delivery driver is gonna want to wait around for however long it takes the pool guy to do his thing. How does this usually work? Both the pool company and water company are 50 minutes away and getting them both there at the same time is obviously crucial.

Welcome to TFP!

Generally you want them there are the same time. Generally it takes several trucks of water to fill a pool, so there is normally time between trucks to cut the openings. If needed, the pool can be completely filled, and then the openings cut, even though that is not preferred. Cutting the openings doesn't take much time.

In any case, both groups do this kind of thing all the time, and probably know each other, so it is usually fairly easy to arrange.

The skimmer opening is cut after the skimmer is installed anyway so its really the return... and that is a 3 inch circle... pretty quick. I took my return out of my pool last night... while full. Lost a 1/2 inch but thats ok.

Thanks, guys. I figured that must be how it's done. Still seems odd to me though, from a "time is $" sort of way, but I guess there's no other way.

About how long does it take the pool guys to cut in the skimmer and return?

OK, just called the pool water company, which I probably should have done initially. They confirmed what you guys said. They recommended I order the water through the pool company and let them make the arrangements with the water company to set up the rendezvous.

Thanks, Pwrstrk. That's what the water company said. They do it all the time.

Can't wait til this thing comes in! The pool was supposed to ship from Sharkline last Mon. As of Thursday, it still hadn't shipped. They were planning on doing the install this Mon, but obviously that isn't gonna happen. Oh well.

Do you have yourself a good test kit? I would also like to mention that you have everything you need on hand to get the water balanced correctly from the start. I've seen alot of questions like,pool just got filled now what? You don't want to mess up the first fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I have the Poolmaster 22270 kit. The pool comes with a kit as well. It also comes with a couple weeks worth of chems. Almost positive the water comes from the city's municipal water supply, for whatever that's worth. I'm familiar with water testing having owned many fish tanks over the years. I'm hoping that experience carries over to pool water. Once they give me the run down, I'm confident I'll be able to figure it out. If not, the forum is here :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.