Test kit arrived and the numbers are in. Alkalinity HIGH!

brmommy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2013
Southeast Ohio
So my test kit finally arrived a couple hours ago. I read through the manual and went out to test the water.

FC 4ppm (Pool Company said .5 - 1.ppm with Aqua Smarte)
CC .5ppm
TC 4.5ppm
pH 7.8
ALK 275 :shock:
CH 90
CYA 53? (was closer to 50 than 60)

So I'm thinking after reading the Basic Pool information that I'm in the range on everything but Alkalinity. Am I understanding correctly?

Time for muriatic acid and then running a fountain to aerate the water to bring the pH up after lowering the ALK?

Re: Test kit arrived and the numbers are in. Alkalinity HIGH

Your first concern should be chlorine so close to the minimum level. You should make an effort to keep it closer to 6ppm.

TA isn't a huge concern. It will keep pushing your pH up. If you stay on top of the pH and keep it down in the lower part of the range, your TA will fall over time without much effort. If you have a mesh cover, winter rains will help by replacing pool water with 0ppm TA rain water.

If it becomes an aggravation to keep your pH down, you can follow the aeration procedure in Pool School and move it more quickly.

I thought since the Aqua Smarte had the mineral thing and the pool store telling me .5-1.ppm for chlorine that the 4.ppm would be good.

The pool came with the solar cover and a winter cover which I haven't taken out of the box yet. Not sure what it is made of. I thought it was to keep water out?

I'll have to re-read the information I guess. I thought the fountain/aeration was to raise the pH without raising alkalinity when the pH dropped from lowering the alkalinity.

No. I did not wipe the dropper tip. Didn't see I was supposed to. Why is that?

Static can build up in the reagent and the TA drops may be smaller than they should be resulting in a higher result than reality.

When you change your TA using chemicals (in this case, acid), it will change the pH, too. You do not want to push your pH below 7.2. So, you can add acid to bring your pH down to 7.2. That will also lower your TA, but it won't get it within range. As previously said, this isn't that big of a deal. Your pH will go back up more quickly because of the high TA, but nothing else "bad" will happen. Once the pH creeps up again, you can use acid to bring it to 7.2, and again, this will also lower the TA. If you want to make the pH go up faster so that you can use acid again more quickly, you aerate. I don't know of any reason to make it go faster, though.

Thanks. I have another question after reading the pool schedule. I don't see shocking the pool on the list. So if my chlorine never drops too low I don't have to shock?

That's right. Keep your FC levels in range for your CYA level and you'll be golden. Only reason for shock levels is if you have algae going on.

With the proper FC levels you won't have to SLAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Yes, I found the Pool Calculator. Also purchased the SimplePool app for my android that I read about on here. Both appear to be great assets!!! I just can't wait until the contractors finish the retaining walls so I can get the solar blanket off and get in the pool more. It's so muddy all around the pool right now I hate to even try to take off that massive cover without it becoming covered in mud! Should only be a few more days I believe. This site has a wealth of information!!!!! Thanks to all!

Reference this for FC levels. It's the most important as maintaining your FC for CYA level is critical to keeping the pool sanitized. It's the FC/CYA chart.

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

You MINIMUM is 4 and target of 6 for CYA of 50. Min 5 and target 7 for CYA of 60. You should never let the FC get below minimum or your asking for algae within 24 hours if not sooner. This is probably the most critical aspect of troublefree - the FC/CYA relationship.

Just keep adjusting pH when it rises and TA will go down all by itself. It's not harmful in the slightest to humans (you bathe in the same water and drink it) and your CH level is so low that scaling is not really a concern.

Low FC is a concern.

Thanks! I increased the setting on the Aqua Smarte so the chlorine should rise back up. Can I add bleach if the solar cover is on? Until they finish the retaining walls in a couple days, I really don't think I should take it off.

brmommy said:
Thanks! I increased the setting on the Aqua Smarte so the chlorine should rise back up. Can I add bleach if the solar cover is on? Until they finish the retaining walls in a couple days, I really don't think I should take it off.
You shouldn't need to add any. You will lose very little FC to sunlight if the pool is covered.

But if you need to raise FC, yes, you can lift the edge and pour it in in front of a return while the pump is running.

What is in the Aqua Smarte? If it is trichlor, you are increasing both your chlorine and your CYA. Your CYA looked fine at 50-60; I don't think you want it higher. Switching to liquid bleach instead of the Aqua Smarte will raise chlorine without affecting CYA.

I just looked, and the Aqua Smarte says it uses minerals. You really should get rid of that, because it adds copper, which, when it gets too high, will cause staining and can turn your hair green.

Hi brmommy,

I was in the same place as you last year, new pool installed (24' Round X 54" Aqua Leader) and was using the Aqua Smarte Mizer Pacs to chlorinate. See my thread here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/need-advice-updated-test-results-thanks-t46924.html
The Mizer Pacs are expensive and are trichlor which will also increase your CYA. You really don't want yours any higher. You should switch to using liquid chlorine if you can find it or regular bleach to chlorinate your pool. Don't remove the Aqua Smarte system though. I use mine when I go on vacation for a week. It raises the CYA a little, but I know to keep it a little lower in the beginning of the season to account for it. I than lose some when I have to drain for the winter. I actually cut the mizer pac in half, fill with trichlor tabs and then use electrical tape to seal it back up. Cheaper than buying a new mizer pac.

Also, regarding your solar cover, I made solar cover hangers out of PVC to hold my cover, it was relatively cheap and easy. You can check out the thread here if interested: http://www.troublefreepool.com/homemade-pvc-solar-cover-hanger-s-t47666.html

Good luck! This forum is a great place for us to learn. You'll be an expert in no time.

rick6668 said:
Hi brmommy,

I was in the same place as you last year, new pool installed (24' Round X 54" Aqua Leader) and was using the Aqua Smarte Mizer Pacs to chlorinate. See my thread here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/need-advice-updated-test-results-thanks-t46924.html
The Mizer Pacs are expensive and are trichlor which will also increase your CYA. You really don't want yours any higher. You should switch to using liquid chlorine if you can find it or regular bleach to chlorinate your pool. Don't remove the Aqua Smarte system though. I use mine when I go on vacation for a week. It raises the CYA a little, but I know to keep it a little lower in the beginning of the season to account for it. I than lose some when I have to drain for the winter. I actually cut the mizer pac in half, fill with trichlor tabs and then use electrical tape to seal it back up. Cheaper than buying a new mizer pac.

Also, regarding your solar cover, I made solar cover hangers out of PVC to hold my cover, it was relatively cheap and easy. You can check out the thread here if interested: http://www.troublefreepool.com/homemade-pvc-solar-cover-hanger-s-t47666.html

Good luck! This forum is a great place for us to learn. You'll be an expert in no time.

So did you just leave in the original mineral pac? I didn't know if leaving it there would cause any issues. I was thinking like you mentioned of it being nice for the Aqua Smarte for when on vacation. Do the minerals in the mineral pac get all used up and then it becomes empty or does something remain that needs gotten rid of?

I really appreciate the knowledge this site has!!!!! :goodjob:

brmommy said:
rick6668 said:
Hi brmommy,

So did you just leave in the original mineral pac? I didn't know if leaving it there would cause any issues. I was thinking like you mentioned of it being nice for the Aqua Smarte for when on vacation. Do the minerals in the mineral pac get all used up and then it becomes empty or does something remain that needs gotten rid of?

I really appreciate the knowledge this site has!!!!! :goodjob:

I took out the mineral pac and ran it empty. I only put the mineral pac in when I have to use the chlorinator as the mizer pac fits inside of it. I figured one to two weeks a year was not a big deal to run it. It's supposed to be replaced each season, but I will only use this one cause I need it for the chlorinator to work. Haven't had an issue.. not sure if that's a problem, I thought it would just empty out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.