Aqua bug cleaner- anyone know the mystery?

Mar 18, 2013
Got an Aqua Bug vacuum with my pool package. Have watched it run a few times and just can't fugure out what pattern this thing runs around in the pool. Do the antenna actually do anything besides make it look like a bug? Does it just "randomlly" move around by water being sucked thru it or does it form some kind of pattern "memory" while zipping around the bottom and touching the side walls to make sure it gets full bottom coverage and just not re-vacuuming what it did previous? Manufacturer website does not address how these things actually work, that i could find.

I have diver Dave and as I understand the innards are the same, the housings are purely for looks. Dave vacuums what seems to be a totally random pattern (or would that be a non-pattern). If you'll leave your aqua bug in the pool, it will get all.

We have Diver Dan as well. There is no pattern and your return jet can push him around if he gets caught in the current. If I have the time to hook him up and walk away for awhile, I'll let him do the work. Most of the time though, I am too impatient and use the manual vacuum

I had a bug and now have a diver, the pattern is driven by a couple wheels/gears/water-driven-motors on the interior but i could not really determine how it worked. I had to rebuild my bug. I replaced the bug with the diver as the hoses were cracked and it was easier to buy a newer used bug online than order hoses at $8.95 each section.

I like to put DiverDan into the pool when I am leaving for work in the morning and let him do his thing while i am gone. IIRC, It takes 2-3 hours for my bug to clean my 21round pool.

I have wanda, I think they have an internal template (similar to a gear) that moves it along a series of circular paths, while constantly moving it around. This results in it covering all the area.

Works great in my pool.

I knew I had seen it, this is pattern an Aquabug uses but I know when it runs into the wall, it changes the pattern in your actual pool.

36cvB.GIF

It spirals right (out from center IIRC) then goes straight for a couple feet then spirals left (from center)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.